Changing Personality Libraries? Smart Soft

OK this may be total 101 but how the hell do you get smartsoft to use a new personality Library?

I've downloaded 8.3.3 but program always refers back to 7.5.3, need the new one as it has the personalities I need.

Have loaded to card, replaced perslib.bat in the Binaries folder, what more do you need to do?

This situation isn't explained in desk manual, software help or manual...

Parents
  • Andrew,

There are a couple of ideas that aren't documented well. I recently dug through this to teach somebody else...

Step 1 - Menu>Patch>Patch Devices>[Load Personalities] will look at the SD card for the new personality file. Each new device type will go into a "slot" on the console. (Manual 3.0.1 page 8)

Step 2 - Menu>Patch>Patch Devices>[Patch Wizard] and select the manufacturer "Loaded" and then the slot will have the fixture description. Like patching any device except you have to know about "Loaded," just like your own are under "User". That's what not in the manual.

I hope that helps.

Perhaps offline and user personalities would make nice Wiki articles.

• Andrew,

There are a couple of ideas that aren't documented well. I recently dug through this to teach somebody else...

Step 1 - Menu>Patch>Patch Devices>[Load Personalities] will look at the SD card for the new personality file. Each new device type will go into a "slot" on the console. (Manual 3.0.1 page 8)

Step 2 - Menu>Patch>Patch Devices>[Patch Wizard] and select the manufacturer "Loaded" and then the slot will have the fixture description. Like patching any device except you have to know about "Loaded," just like your own are under "User". That's what not in the manual.

I hope that helps.

Perhaps offline and user personalities would make nice Wiki articles.

Children
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks for replying.  Haven't tried the patch wizard yet.

I have used SD Card done the load show / load personalities/patch scenario - the issue is smartsoft doesn't show any change in the library ; Systems Page.  Even though it would now appear that the personalities from 8.3.3 are available.  oh well. better than not appearing.  I have a devices patch with generic Chinese RGBW Zoom Pars working on a user 1 profile and some Showtechnology LED cyc bars from custom slot 1 /  perslib.8.3.3 so happiness despite the programmer stutter in user programming (pigging nuisance)

• I don't recall seeing any way to replace the entire library.

My understanding is that new libraries come out as extensions to load personalities from. This was new with V3 and is one of those ideas that are easy to miss.

• Personally the GUI is grand and seems to mimic the desk exactly BUT it is a pain in the *** to program new fixtures on.  Please let them produce a simple table application where you can add channel number to attribute then export the personality.  The current method simulates the desk which while consistent is not actually a very efficient or easy process to work through.  Especially as the desk / SW has a coding or manufacture error in the custom users offset field, random number 5 or 6 generation.

atb

Related