Gap betwen SmartFade 2496 and ION

We are looking for a new controller (and dimmers, and fixtures, and sound equipment) and I've rather fallen in love with the SmartFade 2496 console and SmartSoft has reinforced that. However, I'm very disappointed that it will only control 24 channels in 2 scene mode. We've looked at other options and obviously the Express 48/96 would do well, but the fact that its being phased out is a deal breaker for us. The next step up - the ION - is substantially more expensive when equipped with the appropriate faders. So I ask - (or maybe I'm not allowed to know) what's going to fill the gab between the "Smart-line" and the "Pro-line"?
Parents
  • This is a good question - and I will attempt to answer it.

We had to make some significant decisions as we entered into a new series of ETC products. One of those decisions was to leave 2 Scene mode in the SmartFade series only. This was not an easy decision - but here is why we did it.

The ultimate decision - supported by market research - was that 2 scene mode is primarily a teaching tool on any system over 24 channels. Now granted - 24 channels is a debated point - but that was the decision. We ultimately believe that 2 scene mode is more difficult and less dependable on any production over the 24 channel size.

In other words - we believe that it is time to "move on" from 2 scene mode for most users. While it has a strong history - it is historical. Two scene mode was designed for systems that were small - and got scaled up as the systems got larger. As with most technologies - the scaling up factor usually hits a wall at some point. Indulge me a few examples:
    "Three on the tree transmissions" - We simply had to move on when we hit 4, 5 and 6 speeds

"Microwave ovens with rotating dials instead of keypads" - We can't dial up a popcorn setting.

"Patch panels" - We can't make them large enough, and dimmers came down in cost.

As we now offer control for moving lights and LED's and Media servers on almost all of our consoles - these items simply push 2 scene control away. Imposing 2 scene control become the limiting factor in development of these systems.

We believe that even the smallest theaters can learn to run and program a console now. And even though there is still a group of people who will find this transition difficult --  the primary demographic we are serving wants the type of advanced features we cannot offer in a 2 scene hampered desk. Witness the fact that our technicians consistently say that teaching the teachers is the hardest part - the students are bored after an hour and moving on to the good stuff. We value the teachers - and we need to help them move on from 2 scene.

We plan to offer more on-line learning tools for all of our products in 2008 and 2009. The SmartFade video series is a pilot to that effort and we hope to build on it for all our products.

We believe it is our calling as a manufacturer to drive the industry - technology, users, methods - forward to newer and better things. You will see this evidenced all over our controls products. People like "the way things have always worked" and we a moving the cheese of many people.

I hope this is a reasonable explanation. I invite your comments.

David Lincecum

Marketing Manager, ETC

• This is a good question - and I will attempt to answer it.

We had to make some significant decisions as we entered into a new series of ETC products. One of those decisions was to leave 2 Scene mode in the SmartFade series only. This was not an easy decision - but here is why we did it.

The ultimate decision - supported by market research - was that 2 scene mode is primarily a teaching tool on any system over 24 channels. Now granted - 24 channels is a debated point - but that was the decision. We ultimately believe that 2 scene mode is more difficult and less dependable on any production over the 24 channel size.

In other words - we believe that it is time to "move on" from 2 scene mode for most users. While it has a strong history - it is historical. Two scene mode was designed for systems that were small - and got scaled up as the systems got larger. As with most technologies - the scaling up factor usually hits a wall at some point. Indulge me a few examples:
    "Three on the tree transmissions" - We simply had to move on when we hit 4, 5 and 6 speeds

"Microwave ovens with rotating dials instead of keypads" - We can't dial up a popcorn setting.

"Patch panels" - We can't make them large enough, and dimmers came down in cost.

As we now offer control for moving lights and LED's and Media servers on almost all of our consoles - these items simply push 2 scene control away. Imposing 2 scene control become the limiting factor in development of these systems.

We believe that even the smallest theaters can learn to run and program a console now. And even though there is still a group of people who will find this transition difficult --  the primary demographic we are serving wants the type of advanced features we cannot offer in a 2 scene hampered desk. Witness the fact that our technicians consistently say that teaching the teachers is the hardest part - the students are bored after an hour and moving on to the good stuff. We value the teachers - and we need to help them move on from 2 scene.

We plan to offer more on-line learning tools for all of our products in 2008 and 2009. The SmartFade video series is a pilot to that effort and we hope to build on it for all our products.

We believe it is our calling as a manufacturer to drive the industry - technology, users, methods - forward to newer and better things. You will see this evidenced all over our controls products. People like "the way things have always worked" and we a moving the cheese of many people.

I hope this is a reasonable explanation. I invite your comments.

David Lincecum

Marketing Manager, ETC

Children
  • My theory here:  

Ion is perfectly capable of becoming a 2 scene console. Simply buy enough fader wings, say 2 - 2x20 wings as well as a 2x10 -  or whatever you think you need as "Subs" or better yet, as "Playback Faders".  We have been told that Ion and Eos will (at some point) support simultaneous multiple playbacks on multiple faders.  This is going to happen - Correct ?.

If you (ETC) have written the software correctly (and it's never too late to add features) and Eos/Ion will do a simple trick that Emphasis is capable of, you can make 2 of your faders on the 2x10 into Supermasters, able to master a set of Playback Faders (I'm going to call the Submasters - "Playbacks", which reflects my optimisum) - with one of these supermasters controlling Playback 1-40, the other as master to playback 41-80.  With a Channel to Playback config as 1:1 for Playbacks 1-40, repeating on 41-80, you now have a 40 channel 2 scene with 18 Subs/Playback extra - also known as an expensive Express 48 2 scene, with all of the new bells and whistles for ML's,scrollers and LED's. 

This is also a method for getting an Insight III with Emphasis to become a 36 channel - 2 scene, with 34 submasters on the lower row.

I'm really, really hoping this is do-able in Ion, as thats' where my head is going right now, as I too do not believe that 2 scene is dead nor will ever be.  The above configuration I describe makes for a larger desk and footprint then an Express 48, but I would deal with that as it has TONS more capability and I can always pull out the 2-2x20 wings for storage if not needed.  I also think there are a lot of road houses where an Eos or Obsession is and has been inappropriate for one-off's.   

I'm also thinking that ETC is going to need to think about how many Playback Faders Ion can support in terms of processing a ton of changing information on potentially 240 ?, submasters that can become Playback Faders ?.  And maybe find a functional limit - say 40 Playbacks with everything else on the remaining sub wings becoming simple submasters ?.  I could live with that as well.

As a marketing question, one might wonder how well Avo is doing with it's Diamond 4 ? and why they updated to the 4.  Seemingly they feel there is still a market for a huge desk with a lot of handles.  They just came out with Pearl Tiger, which might confirm Davids and ETC's thinking about the future of 2 scene control. I happen to disagree and think your going to find a lot of folks missing the Express 2 scenes and that indeed, the Smartfade doesn't fill the gap.  Ion with fader wings might, if configured correctly. 

As an additional thought, I understand and agree with the need on ETCs part to fully incorporate the ability to better control ML's. scrollers, LED's etc... but the first thing I (and most folks) start with is a dimming system with conventionals.  Thus I asked over on the Eos forum if Eos/Ion could do a simple check of multiple dimmers thru the RRFU ?.  I sort of got an answer from other users, but never confirmed from ETC.  It's my opinion that these desks need to do the basics well, before becoming great at the more complicated stuff.  Dimmer check being one of them.  2 scene might be another.

My $.02

Steve Bailey

Brooklyn College

• We did look at the ION as an alternative, but its quite a bit more expensive. In reality, its out of our price range when equipped with 2x20 fader modules. I guess i shouldn't hold my breath for a SmartFade 4896 which would be perfect for our theater. Part of our list of requirements is a two scene mode/console for those who are less experienced. This is community theater after all!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

• We are very happy with our SmartFade 2496, and to be honnest, even the less experienced users don't use the two scene mode anymore. (We had also two scene mode at our wishlist (however with the 2496 limited to 24 channels).
    Programming memories is easy,  and the color codes coloring red or green are very usefull and easy to get started with, using for instance one row of faders as submasters, resulting in 24 submasters immidiately at your finger tips for such a price...

We are only awaiting the Smartsoft for the 2496 to be able to use a larger display and use more offline programming possibilities for the more demanding shows.

[edited by: Jeroen at 5:43 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Dec 29 2007] [edited by: Jeroen at 5:40 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Dec 29 2007] [edited by: Jeroen at 5:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Dec 29 2007]
  • Jeroen - what did you use for dimmers? We are also struggling with this decision.

[edited by: dpc78 at 10:54 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Dec 29 2007]
  • dpc78 -  We use the Smartpack dimmers from ETC
    http://www.etcconnect.com/product.overview.aspx?ID=20071
    In particular the Smartpack 12x10A, ND, Harting
    They are quiet and stable (so far).

Indeed, I forgot about the NEXT function. Sometimes in normal mode we use it to add channels to the upcoming memory. But, indeed, you can extend your channels with the next function, never looked at it using it thay way.
    This would offer a sort of solution for dpc78's whishlist

[edited by: Jeroen at 7:47 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jan 15 2008] [edited by: Jeroen at 7:45 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jan 15 2008] [edited by: Jeroen at 7:44 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jan 15 2008] [edited by: Jeroen at 7:43 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jan 15 2008]
Related