SmartFade (non-ML) and colour changers

Anybody have any experience with the SmartFade 2496 using color changers? We are thinking of going with Chroma-Qs. Is there support for control channels which do not tie up a dimming channel / slider?
Parents
  • dpc78:
    Is there support for control channels which do not tie up a dimming channel / slider?
    Not on SmartFade - it's designed to be a simple and easy-to-use generics-only console.

The closest it has are the two 'Independant' channels, but those would definitely not be suitable for this purpose - they are mostly aimed at smoke machines and similar effects.

When using SmartFade 24/96 with scrollers, there's two main options:

1. Patch most of the scrollers on top of each other, so that groups of them match colour.
      • Not a great solution for the colour attribute, as it presents an artificial limitation.
      • You'd almost always do this to the Fan and speed attributes, if the scrollers use them.
    2. Patch the Intensity to a fader on one page, and the colour to the same fader on a different page.
      • This way you use the same physical handle to change the two attributes.
      • Pick pages that make sense for your rig.
      • It also helps with labelling the console - label the Int Page buttons with 'function' (Int/Colour etc), and the faders with fixture.
    I can't really advise on particular scroller manufacturers as I've only experienced Wybron for longer than two weeks, so I can't compare long-term usage between brands. The Wybrons were definitely good, but I couldn't say whether ChromaQ are better or worse.

[edited by: Richard at 12:38 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Jan 26 2008]
  • dpc78:
    Is there support for control channels which do not tie up a dimming channel / slider?
    Not on SmartFade - it's designed to be a simple and easy-to-use generics-only console.

The closest it has are the two 'Independant' channels, but those would definitely not be suitable for this purpose - they are mostly aimed at smoke machines and similar effects.

When using SmartFade 24/96 with scrollers, there's two main options:

1. Patch most of the scrollers on top of each other, so that groups of them match colour.
      • Not a great solution for the colour attribute, as it presents an artificial limitation.
      • You'd almost always do this to the Fan and speed attributes, if the scrollers use them.
    2. Patch the Intensity to a fader on one page, and the colour to the same fader on a different page.
      • This way you use the same physical handle to change the two attributes.
      • Pick pages that make sense for your rig.
      • It also helps with labelling the console - label the Int Page buttons with 'function' (Int/Colour etc), and the faders with fixture.
    I can't really advise on particular scroller manufacturers as I've only experienced Wybron for longer than two weeks, so I can't compare long-term usage between brands. The Wybrons were definitely good, but I couldn't say whether ChromaQ are better or worse.

[edited by: Richard at 12:38 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Jan 26 2008]
Children
No Data
Related