No One Seems To Be Having The Same Issue

Hello all, I have done an extensive search of google and of the forums here and I cannot seem to find anyone with the same issue. I have a SmartFade ML here (software 2.1.2.9.0.13 personalities 5.5.2) that I am trying to update to the latest software (3.0.1) but the board does not want to take it. I am having to use an SD card (formatted to FAT16 per instruction) as I have been given a Mac to work with. I have the updated software in the root folder as well. I insert the card, restart the board into diagnostic mode, scroll through until update is presented and select yes. At this point the two LCD screens simply show the the name of the board and the website and the "undo" and "solo" buttons light up. Nothing else appears to happen. I thought it might be working in the background so at one point I let it sit for 20 minutes, but still nothing. Am I missing something here? 

Thanks a lot!

Adlam

Parents
  • First of all, make sure that the firmware file is unzipped, has the right filename and is in the 'root' of the SD card (not inside a folder).
    It needs to be called "SMRTFDML.SRC"

If you've done all that, it may well be that the console simply can't read that particular SD card.

Unfortunately there is a lot of variability in SD cards, and some devices can't read some cards - even though other devices can.
    - For example, I've got two SD cards at home which my laptop reads just fine but neither of my cameras are able to use them.

In SFML v3.0.1/3.0.2 we made some changes that allowed the use of SDHC card for show storage, and increased the range of SD cards that worked but that did mean some SD cards that had worked in previous versions stopped doing so.

I'd recommend trying another SD card - my general advice is to avoid the 2GB size cards as those are the most variable - some work, but some don't, even from the same card manufacturer.

Alternatively, if you can borrow a friend's Windows PC (or run it using Bootcamp on your Mac) then you can do the firmware update over USB.

[edited by: Richard at 1:24 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 16 2013]
  • First of all, make sure that the firmware file is unzipped, has the right filename and is in the 'root' of the SD card (not inside a folder).
    It needs to be called "SMRTFDML.SRC"

If you've done all that, it may well be that the console simply can't read that particular SD card.

Unfortunately there is a lot of variability in SD cards, and some devices can't read some cards - even though other devices can.
    - For example, I've got two SD cards at home which my laptop reads just fine but neither of my cameras are able to use them.

In SFML v3.0.1/3.0.2 we made some changes that allowed the use of SDHC card for show storage, and increased the range of SD cards that worked but that did mean some SD cards that had worked in previous versions stopped doing so.

I'd recommend trying another SD card - my general advice is to avoid the 2GB size cards as those are the most variable - some work, but some don't, even from the same card manufacturer.

Alternatively, if you can borrow a friend's Windows PC (or run it using Bootcamp on your Mac) then you can do the firmware update over USB.

[edited by: Richard at 1:24 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 16 2013]
Children
Related