Error in Loading Extended Fixture Library onto SmartfadeML

I've downloaded the Fixture Library file onto an FAT16, 2 GB sd card. When I insert the sd card into the Smartfade ml console to "Update Library," and press confirm, the screen displays, "Error: Not Loaded." I'm attempting to load the latest Library, "Library v10_7_0."

Is there anything else I need to add to the card, or do on the console to make the file download?

I greatly appreciate anyone who reads this, and would greatly appreciate any help.

-Dgonza95

Parents
  • You're running an older version of SmartFade ML firmware, which is why it is unable to load the personality templates in the current extended library.

First of all you'll need to update the firmware in the console.
    You can download the latest version (currently 3.0.2) from the SmartFade ML software page.

The Release Note explains how to install it.

Secondly, 2GB SD cards are generally not recommended.
    Some work, but some don't and this size is often counterfeited.

Finally, the console doesn't have enough on-board memory to store all 7000+ templates in the extended library

Instead, in SmartFade ML v3.x the console has about 500 of the most common fixtures on-board, and you can load a further 100 individual personality templates onto your console.
    Once Loaded they will stay on your console for all your future shows.

(A factory reset will clear them.)

• You're running an older version of SmartFade ML firmware, which is why it is unable to load the personality templates in the current extended library.

First of all you'll need to update the firmware in the console.
    You can download the latest version (currently 3.0.2) from the SmartFade ML software page.

The Release Note explains how to install it.

Secondly, 2GB SD cards are generally not recommended.
    Some work, but some don't and this size is often counterfeited.

Finally, the console doesn't have enough on-board memory to store all 7000+ templates in the extended library

Instead, in SmartFade ML v3.x the console has about 500 of the most common fixtures on-board, and you can load a further 100 individual personality templates onto your console.
    Once Loaded they will stay on your console for all your future shows.

(A factory reset will clear them.)

Children
  • Thanks for your reply, Richard.

Does this mean, that there is no need to download the Extended Library v10_7_0 in the first place? Is the console meant to solely originally contain around 500 common fixture personalities and then we custom pick up to 100 of the next ones we may want? My console displays that it currently has the 7.5.3 Personality Library.

And I took your advice; my console is now running the latest firmware version. Yet, before the update while on version 2.1, I was able to "update personality library" once I extracted the 'Library_v10_7_0' file.

I am new to this.

One last thing, what is the difference between "User Personalities" and plain old "Personalities," as described on page 6 of the user manual for the latest version, 3.0.2?

Thanks,

Danny

• The "Extended" libraries contain the several thousand personality templates that you can copy into those 100 slots.

If you find you have a fixture that is not in the most-common 500 (v7.5.3), then you download the latest extended library and copy up to 100 extra into those 100 "Loaded" slots.

The 10.7.0 library is not supported by SFML firmware older than 3.0.1. This means that trying to use it on older firmware will have unknown effects.
    Depending on the version you try it on, it might work for some fixtures, it might refuse, behave oddly, or it might even badly corrupt the console's memory and require a factory reset to recover.

Finally, "User Personalities" are ones that you've created yourself.

If you get a new (or custom-built) fixture that's not in the library, you can build a "User Personality" template on the console and use it in your current and future shows.
    Having made it once, you can then copy it into new shows when you use that fixture again.

Related