Smartsoft won't open on OS X El Capitan

As per the title, Smartsoft won't open on an El Capitan Mac.  Is there an update upcoming?

• Following post - I've got the same problem. TS told me an update would hopefully become available soon. (Mid Dec '15)
  • Hello,
    Apple recently changed their policy about third-party apps and programs. ETC needs to work with Apple to get the SmartSoft app registered for OSX El Capitan.
    In the meantime there is a workaround:

Go to Launch Pad > System Preferences > Security & Privacy
    Bottom left : click padlock to unlock
    And toggle "allow apps downloaded from" to "Anywhere"

(This will allow and app to run and would make your MAC unsafe by Apple standards :) )

Adam Bennette
  • With most apps on os x you can also just right click on it and select open. This will allow you to run apps that are not "safe"
  • Not sure if my problem is exactly the same as OP; I can get the app to launch - the SmartfadeML won't speak to Smartsoft anymore, this is the problem I've been told will be fixed with an update. It left me in a touch of a sticky situation in December, that's for sure!

• Hello,

Apple have in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) redesigned the USB stack to "increase stability and performance".

The unfortunate upshot, is that it has broken support in some applications.

SmartSoft will continue to work in offline mode, however online mode will fail in OS X 10.11

SmartSoft/SmartFade is a product that nearing it's end of life. While we will do everything we can to continue support this product for as long as possible, it is unlikely that an updated SmartSoft for Mac will be available.

Marcus

• Thank you for the reply Marcus, I thought this was the case.

Alex
  • Hi Marcus,

I am working already 5 years with several smartfades.
    Last week, I bought 2 new smartfades (1248 and 2496). This product is perfect for almost 99% of my productions I made.
    I have now 5 smartfades on tour. They are programmed and follow a Qlab file via MIDI. Perfect way of working!

Last week, I bought also a new mac with El Capitan on board (no downgrading possible)
    The USB connection is very slowly and the console crashes every 10 minutes...

PLEASE find a solution!

I can't change all of my productions to an new console!

You wrote in a previous reply that smartfade is nearly dead??? why do you still sell it then???
  • Hello -

The solution is to downgrade the OS in the Mac, or use a PC, if SmartSoft is required. The El Capitan operating system changed some things required for the free SmartSoft software and I cannot tell you at this time when or if an update to SmartSoft will come. The console is designed to operate without the connection to SmartSoft.

Thanks -

Sarah 

Related