Strange behavior of "next"

Hi again,

I will try to explain something strange in "next" mode.

-The first thing is that "next" doesn't function in memory mode, however that could be useful when you want to playback scenes that are not in the stack, or when you use memories like sub groups.

-The behavior which seems to me strange is this one :
Let's take an example :
In next mode.
First scene : channels 1,2,3 at 50%
Press Go.
In live, you want to add channel 4 at 70%. So you press "next" to exit next mode and adjust fader 4.
Then to prepare the next scene, you press "next" again.
The next scene is 3 and 4 at 70%.
So you set 1 & 2 @ 0%, adjust 3 @ 70%, and do not touch channel 4.
When you press Go, channel 3 increase to 70%, but 4 decrease to 0%.

If you want channel 4 to stay at 70%, when preparing the scene, you need to go it down @ 0% then re-set it to 70% before pressing Go.
The problem is that it is extremely difficult to re-set a channel at the same value, and you are likely to see a difference beetween the two states that are supposed to be the same.

So, is this behavior wanted, or not? It could be useful that the levels of fader is considered when pressing "next".

Thanks for your answer.

[edited by: arnof at 9:49 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 21 2007] [edited by: arnof at 9:48 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 21 2007] [edited by: arnof at 9:47 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 21 2007]
  • Next mode does not "hold" the values set while in it. It allows you to "hold" the current scene and make changes that will appear after hitting go.

So it does not work to set the "Next" value and then have to return to making changes in Live mode.

Sorry that it does not function that way. It is a nice suggestion though. I also understand what you are saying about memory mode. Next is mainly designed for using the stack - or just using the channels as a "one scene preset" with "hold" feature.

• It would be very helpful to be able to use memory fader in "Next" mode.  Many of the events I use the ML for requires specific looks in random orders brought up on the fly.  I try to make the transitions as soon as possible.  It is  sometimes difficult to do this if, for instance,

-I have to fade out 3 specials(which are 2 channels each) from full to 20percent in 10secs.,

-bring up a cool look on stage(sometimes is 10 channels) in 5 secs.,

-light on the bandstand(5 channels),

-and 6 movers fanned out into the audience in N/C, gobo6 rotating at a medium speed.

Now if I were to try to make this happen in the current Next mode it could take nearly a full minute to set, however, if I were able to use the submasters in Next mode I could make it happen almost instantly.  What are submasters if not a collection of channels? 

I am rarely ever given the opportunity to be given a script ahead of time, not to mention, being able to see a rehearsal.  This option would make my work-life infinitely easier.  The rest of the console is great and very easy to use, this one thing would round it off and make it a perfect console.

Related