Virtual Intensity channel for LED Strip?

Hello,

I've got some of MEGA's new LED NE Color Strips and am having problems setting them up to work properly as a device (or multiple devices).

The strip does not have a dedicated channel for intensity control, I can only control red/green/blue intensities independently.  I want to set this up as a device which works like my other LED fixtures, where I have intensity/hue/saturation control and use of the color palette.  So far, I have only been able to do that in a way that I do not have any intensity control; intensity is 100% all the time.  I can only control hue/saturation.

Is there any way to setup a virtual intensity channel on the Smartfade ML that will control the intensity via software in the console that will help me get around the problem with this fixture not having a dedicate DMX channel for intensity?

DMX Control of this fixture:

Ch1-Effects/Chases

Ch2-All Red

Ch3-All Green

Ch4-All Blue

etc...  this fixture actually has a 13 channel footprint.  it has 3 different segments of RGB control.  if anyone can tell me how to create a virtual intensity channel, I should be able to figure out how to do it for all 3 segments.

Thanks! Again, this is on a Smartfade ML.

Parents
  • Given that SFML has a really good effects engine, you probably don't need the Effects/Chases attribute.

I would patch this device as 3 of "Generic RGB", missing out the Effects/Chases attribute(s).

This personality handles the 'virtual' dimmer for you.

If you find you need the Effects/Chases attribute(s), then either patch them to some dimmers you aren't using, or build a user personality that is just the Effect/Chases attribute. (Depending on whether you want them to be affected by the Grand Master or not)

In the next release of SFML firmware we are adding the ability to choose any attribute as being attached to the 'virtual' (or real!) intensity channel (called the "Fade With Intensity" option), so you'll be able to build a 'proper' user personality for it.

I'd still break it up into cells - it's much more fun as you can quickly build rainbows etc... But you already know that!

• Thanks Richard! That is exactly what I was looking for.  I must have been dancing around that one device profile for days.  I tried all of the generic LED options I could try and made a number of my own personallities.  But, it is working now.  Thank you very much!

I am having a little issue with one thing that appears to be a problem with the console as far as I can tell.  I have assigned my 18 lights (6 actual fixtures x 3) across my devices in the console. First light is assigned DMX U2 101, and it goes up from there.   Every time I bring up the Intensity on Device 10, it causes the one light I have assigned on DMX U2 101 to start flashing (it is going through the fixture's internal effects on that 1st DMX channel on the fixture). My device 10 starts on DMX 137, no where near 101.  Device 10 does work properly, it just also causes device 1 to go into effects mode.

I tried reassigning that fixture to DMX U2 200+, and then changing the patch for device 10.  It still caused the effects channel on device 1 (dmx 101) to initiate.

Now I have reassigned my #1 fixture to start at DMX U2 80, instead  of 101, and my problem is gone.  So, I have concluded that somehow, Device 10 on the SMFL is ALWAYS controlling DMX U2 101, no matter what else it is assigned to.

I've got everything working now, but I am just wondering what may have caused this? Is it something I programmed? A problem with the console? 

Thanks a lot!

• Thanks Richard! That is exactly what I was looking for.  I must have been dancing around that one device profile for days.  I tried all of the generic LED options I could try and made a number of my own personallities.  But, it is working now.  Thank you very much!

I am having a little issue with one thing that appears to be a problem with the console as far as I can tell.  I have assigned my 18 lights (6 actual fixtures x 3) across my devices in the console. First light is assigned DMX U2 101, and it goes up from there.   Every time I bring up the Intensity on Device 10, it causes the one light I have assigned on DMX U2 101 to start flashing (it is going through the fixture's internal effects on that 1st DMX channel on the fixture). My device 10 starts on DMX 137, no where near 101.  Device 10 does work properly, it just also causes device 1 to go into effects mode.

I tried reassigning that fixture to DMX U2 200+, and then changing the patch for device 10.  It still caused the effects channel on device 1 (dmx 101) to initiate.

Now I have reassigned my #1 fixture to start at DMX U2 80, instead  of 101, and my problem is gone.  So, I have concluded that somehow, Device 10 on the SMFL is ALWAYS controlling DMX U2 101, no matter what else it is assigned to.

I've got everything working now, but I am just wondering what may have caused this? Is it something I programmed? A problem with the console? 

Thanks a lot!

Children
  • I cannot produce this fault.  I think it is due to overlapping patching on DEV INT and the actual device.  DEV INTs are like dimmers that can be multi-patched, which could produce the described behaviour.  If you have SmartSoft connected you might be able to see this in the patch tab by moving the offending moving light to a different termporary location and seeing if a device INT channel is shown as patched inside where the ML was.

Alternatively can you post me a showfile with this defect?  adam.bennette(at)etcconnect.com  replace (at) with @ (anti spam)

Related