Controlling intelligent lighting the smartfade 24/96

Is it possible to control intelligent lights like the American DJ DMX Scanner ? I will be purchasing 4 of these units and a number of other intelligent lights as well.

thanks

• Yes,

we currently support these versions:

American DJ          Deluxe Scan 250                                                       
    American DJ          DJ-Scan 250HP

There is also a facility to make a device personality in the console so any future types can be supported.  We will be regularly updating the device library, which currently contains approximately 1500 devices. 

• Ummm... Adam... While I am not the most familiar with the SmartFade line of consoles, I want to make sure I am hearing you right...

The regular Smartfade line has device libraries?   I thought that was only for the ML console...

If they do, how are they controlled - do the faders map the same way as they do in the  ML line?

I only ask cause it looks like he was talking about the 2496 - not the ML.

• My mistake,

I assumed the ML version.  With the 2496 you can control any DMX device you like, up to a total of 96 channels.  It won't be as easy as on a custom-made moving light console like the SmartFade ML, but it is definitely possible.  There is no automatic fader mapping possible.  You must make a patch in the way that suits the channel layout you want to use.  You will need the manufacturer's DMX addressing table and then you patch those addresses as if you were patching dimmers.

• Sorry, I wasn't talking about the ML board but the 2496. Is there some online resources that I can download to help me when I get the lights in.

Thanks,

• Hello -

There are no resources available for using movers on the regular SmartFade consoles sinceit wasn't designed to do so. To use them with SF, use the 1-to-1 patch and  the channel faders to set levels (which you can then record into memories). Will all of your fixtures fit within the 96-channel limitation of the SF?

If you're looking at purchasing movers, I would suggest taking a look at upgrading to or purchasing the SmartFade ML console to control them. SmartFade is designed to control intensity only, and it does so in a way that's not really the best for controlling the non-intensity parameters of moving lights. The channels on SF are all handled in a "highest level wins" or "pile-on" style - and anyone who has controlled movers on highest-level consoles knows this is really really bad. What's higher - red or blue? Movers really want to be controlled in a "last action" style, and SmartFade ML will do this, as well as controlling the fixtures in a much more logical way.

Adam is correct that you can control any DMX device on a SmartFade console. However, I fear you may become frustrated in time, especially with larger numbers of fixtures.

My $0.02...

Thanks -

Sarah

• Sarah,

Thank for your $0.02 I appreciate it. I will end up with about 8 - 10 movers that I will be using. At the time I was buying equipment I didn't see me ever using them. (Budgets) But now I will have to look at maybe upgrading to the SmartFade ML console. Its too bad as I just got the 24/96 (took over a year to get it). The purchasing dept. moves like a glacier. Until then I will see if I can figure out some basic control over these units as It will take a year to get approval to upgrade. (Sounds like I work for the gov. doesn't it!)

Thanks for the info / advice!

• Hi there -

Believe me, I understand your situation. And I feel for you. :-)

Things to watch out for when working with your movers on a regular SF console include:

1) mixing of memories - remember the HTP/Highest level wins behavior of the console, this may cause unexpected behavior when data for the same fixture is included in two or more active memories

2) there are no masking functions on SF. Every memory will be a unique look - meaning you can't build up a memory with all lights in color red then recall that information for just one light in any way. So, you'll have to get used to learning to control moving lights in the most manual way possible (you'll learn a lot about your lights this way, though, so while it might be a little painful, it's good for you!)

3) remember that memories can be reused in sequences and in the stack - so if you build up a memory for a look that you plan to use often you can reuse that memory in many sequence/stack steps. If you edit the memory, it will play back that new information in any step that uses that memory, so it can make editing much faster.

4) SF has no built in effects. The 24-step sequences will become your dear friends. Get to know them well. :-)

Good luck!!

Thanks -

Sarah

Related