I Really need Help!
Before you begin, keep in mind that updating the firmware will erase the memory on the Smartfade, so be sure to save your show.
The process I have here uses the USB cable to update the firmware, so you will need a USB-A to USB-B cable.
If you haven't already, download the Smartfade firmware at http://www.etcconnect.com/Search-Documentation.aspx?DocType=138
- Search for Smartfade v3.0.2, and download the Smartfade Software v3.0.2 (I'm assuming you're running a non-ML Smartfade).
- Move the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice on your computer and open that folder
- Open SFDownloader.exe
- Now, connect your Smartfade to your computer through a USB-A to USB-B cable. Your computer may say something about an unknown device or a failed driver. This should be OK, as the driver will automatically load during the firmware update process
- Hold down the Checkmark/Menu button as you power on your Smartfade. Keep holding the button until the screen says "Entering Test Mode. Release button". This boots up the Smartfade into the diagnostic mode. As a side note, you can use this to make sure all the bumps light up and faders are functional.
- Press the menu button and step through all the diagnostic tests (many will likely fail, this is OK) until you reach "Firmware upgrade Are you sure? [NO]". Use the scroll wheel to change it to [YES] and press enter.
- In the SFDownloader program, the status should change to "Please Load Firmware File". Click on File and navigate to where you saved the Smartfade firmware. Select SMRTFADE.SRC (or SMRTFADEv3.0.2.SRC), then click on Download. Wait until the programming finishes. It should take about a minute.
- The Smartfade should automatically reset when complete. Your Smartfade should say v184.108.40.206.0.43 as it is booting.
Alternatively, you can use an SD card to update the firmware. Be sure you are not using an SDHC card, as the base firmware can't read high capacity SD cards. Most of the process is still the same, but instead, copy the SMRTFADE.SRC file to your SD card and get to the Firmware upgrade menu. Insert the SD card and press enter. The Smartfade will verify the file on the SD card and proceed to load it. It should take about a minute for the process to complete. If successful, the Smartfade will reset and should, again, say v220.127.116.11.0.43 as it is booting.
Hope this helps!
- MattETC Repair Technician
Thank you Matt! I believe in your instructions and sure that the result will be Good.
I'll let you know