Best on-stage remote solution (MIDI?)

Dear all, please have patience with a perhaps simple question from a non-expert. I will be very greateful for any answers!

In a mini-show we are going on tour with, the stack sequence for the lights needs to be remotely controlled and executed by an  actor on stage. Now what we need is a simple "press one button every time a new que step is too be faded in". In other words I guess you might say I need a simple GO button for the stack to operate at remote (on stage).

As a first step I bought a MIDI mouse (Tech 21) to try it out (has AHEAD, REVERSE and ACTIVE/NON-ACTIVE buttons). After having connected it to the SF via MIDI, I set the MIDI-channel to 1 on both the SF and the mouse. I did turn off the MSC option. The two communicate. I press the Stack-button on the SF and  then press forward on the mouse (which now showes 2) sure enough the Stack sequence changes to LIVE: 2 NEXT: 3 (and so on for 3, 4 etc.). But the Steps are not executed (GO is not operated). I then go to 124 on the mouse in accordance with the table on page 27 of the latest SF user manual. I press the "ahead" button on the mouse and GO is executed, that is the next sequence step fades in. 

I can now press the reverse button on the mouse, go back to 124 and press again. Another step in the sequence is executed (GO operated).

This however is not ideal. I just want to be able to press one simple button for each GO command. I tried many if not every possible settings of MIDI on the SF, even turning the MIDI-options off and MSC on. Whatever I do the mouse keep's operating the same way. I have talked to ETC-distribution and support in Sweden but they did not have a clear answer as to what needs to be done...so this is about the last place I have to turn for help.

Please help me if you have ideas and suggestions. I do not insist on the mouse solution. Whatever works...and is sturdy enough to be foot operated.

Thank's so much for attention and answers!

Regards, John 

Parents
  • There's two ways to do this, depending on what MIDI source you have.

• MIDI Show Control (MSC).
      • This allows you to send discrete "GO" commands, among other things.
    • Standard MIDI notes.
      • Every key on the console has an associated MIDI note.
      • You send the NOTE ON command to press the key, and NOTE OFF to release it.
      • For example, pressing and releasing a key on a MIDI keyboard would press and release the associated key on the Smartfade.

Either approach will work for you, so you'll need to check which your MIDI device supports.

• The  SF/SFML "GO" button is mapped to Program Change #125.

So you can take a Footswitch-to-MIDI converter and program it to send
    a prog change #125 event on contact closure.

Example for a professional MIDI converter:
    MIDI Solutions F8
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodf8.htm

Reply Children
No Data
Related