Effects

[Sara if your reading this one, this is my last question for the week]. :)

I was trying to create a simple chase of 10 LED lights (light 1 goes ON/OFF, then light 2, etc). I selected the 10 lights, hit effects and used the ON/OFF effect. Works great in that the lights go on/off but they all do it in sync.

Is there a way to apply an effect to a group of devices and tell it to vary the timing across the group?

I did get it to work by creating a sequence with .1 wait time inbetween. The down side to that is I can't seem to assign that sequence to a memory with other settings and have to add it manually at the same time I push up the memory.

Is there another way I could have made this chase I'm missing?

Parents
  • Hi there -

When you build that effect (as an effect) and then apply it to your 10 lights, you can use the FAN key to apply an offset to that effect (it should light up when you go into the effect selects). The Fan setting gets stored along with the other channel settings and the effect within a memory (in other words, the fan offset isn't a part of the actual effect, it's a way to adjust that effect once it's applied to channels.)

If you wanted the chase to include other base settings, like color, etc. within a chase sequence, use memories instead of channels in each step. The disadvantage to that is that it would become a blue chase, or a red chase, and not an intensity chase you could place on top of any color mix. Make sense? I think the effect+fan method is probabaly more of what you're looking for.

Have fun!

Sarah

• I remember reading that (FAN) and tryed it. It does work well and is exactly what I wanted (I did it on color effects). The problem I ran into for this is the offset could only be applyed to Shape or Color effects. I was using a Linear effect. (The preset #4 On/Off).

So I've been playing with is and I can't seem to figure out how to apply the fan correclty. Here is what I'm doing.

Selected devices 1-10 (they are patched Elation ELEDTri64B 7ch)

Raise Intensity to 100%

Select Effect -> 13 (which is mapped to #4 ON/OFF)

Select Bump 1 for Intensity (it says to pick parameter to apply the effect)

[Lights start blinking on/off in sync]

Select Fan (It says to select paramter to fan with bumps, but only 10-strobe is lit up)

Select Effect

Left LCD says "Edit Shape Offset"

Hit Sel key. Changes to "Edit Color Offset" 

Hit Sel key goes back to shape.

What am I doing wrong?

• I remember reading that (FAN) and tryed it. It does work well and is exactly what I wanted (I did it on color effects). The problem I ran into for this is the offset could only be applyed to Shape or Color effects. I was using a Linear effect. (The preset #4 On/Off).

So I've been playing with is and I can't seem to figure out how to apply the fan correclty. Here is what I'm doing.

Selected devices 1-10 (they are patched Elation ELEDTri64B 7ch)

Raise Intensity to 100%

Select Effect -> 13 (which is mapped to #4 ON/OFF)

Select Bump 1 for Intensity (it says to pick parameter to apply the effect)

[Lights start blinking on/off in sync]

Select Fan (It says to select paramter to fan with bumps, but only 10-strobe is lit up)

Select Effect

Left LCD says "Edit Shape Offset"

Hit Sel key. Changes to "Edit Color Offset" 

Hit Sel key goes back to shape.

What am I doing wrong?

Children
Related