connect to PC

Hello,

Have SFML (v2.0) and SS (v2.0).  Connect PC.  Turn on PC.  Turn on SFML.  Start smartsoft.   SS Console shows "offline".

Go into Computer's hardware manager.  Smartfade listed with !.  Click on it, says driver not installed.  Try to install and it wants me to insert disc or go on line.  I have no disc and where the board is located, I'm unable to go on line.  ETC does not list a "driver" for the SFML.

Another forum suggested going through the upgrade (SFDownloader.exe).  It doesn't seem likely that I would need to do that everytime I connect the SFML to my computer.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • When you're looking at the driver info from device manager, choose the option to manually update the driver.  Then tell Windows to search in a specified location and browse to the drivers directory under the install directory for SmartSoft (by default that's usually "C:\Program Files\ETC\SmartSoft\Drivers"). 

You should be able to install the driver from there.

• Hi Tracy

That's exactly what I've tried. However, windows (xp, sp3) told me that this file doesn't contain information according to this device. The software-versions of both the console and SmartSoft are the same and the driver file (*.inf) does exist on the hard drive.

Accordingly, SmartSoft didn't change in online mode of course.

Is this an error specific to my computer or have you experienced such problems on other systems aswell? Or have I made just a simple mistake? :)

thanks in advance and best regards

alex

• Hi Alex,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting your console to talk to your computer--you said you have a SmartFadeML running version 2.0 and SmartSoft running 2.0? WIth SmartSoft version 2.0, you will actually need SmartFadeML software version 2.1. I'm sorry for the confusion.

You should be able to update the console using the SFDownloader.exe file located in c:\Program Files\ETC\SmartSoft\Firmware Updates. The SMRTFDML.SRC file in that same folder is the file you will want to load onto your console to update it. Once it is updated, you may need to point your computer to the right drivers for the console, though you may not. You will only need to update your console once--it will then sit at version 2.1, and if it connects to your computer at that point, it should continue to do so in the future without a hassle.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to call Technical Support at 1-800-688-4116.

Sincerely,

Stu Bittner-Rossmiller, ETC Technical Support

[edited by: sbittner at 4:55 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 18 2010]
  • Hi Alex,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting your console to talk to your computer--you said you have a SmartFadeML running version 2.0 and SmartSoft running 2.0? WIth SmartSoft version 2.0, you will actually need SmartFadeML software version 2.1. I'm sorry for the confusion.

You should be able to update the console using the SFDownloader.exe file located in c:\Program Files\ETC\SmartSoft\Firmware Updates. The SMRTFDML.SRC file in that same folder is the file you will want to load onto your console to update it. Once it is updated, you may need to point your computer to the right drivers for the console, though you may not. You will only need to update your console once--it will then sit at version 2.1, and if it connects to your computer at that point, it should continue to do so in the future without a hassle.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to call Technical Support at 1-800-688-4116.

Sincerely,

Stu Bittner-Rossmiller, ETC Technical Support

[edited by: sbittner at 4:55 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 18 2010]
Children
No Data
Related