patching conventionals to the ML

Hi quick question, I patched 6 movers, 10 LED's from channels 1 thru 138 on universe 1.  

one concept that kind of perplexes me a bit is how the second universe works.  Now that i have my intelligent fixtures patched, i'd like a standard one to one patch for my dimmer rack, which varies from 1 to 40 channels on any given day.  since the console can do 48 i'm fine.  But how do i address all that?  I'd like to run that from universe 2.  So if i patch by dimmer where do i start?  Since there are 512 channels in U1 do i start at 513?  No right?  does universe 2 just start over at it's own address 1?  Does each universe have it's own 1-512?  

sorry if that's to confusing a question.  and now that i read the manual it appears by default U1 is already patched one to one... so did that patch get erased when i patched my movers on the same channels?  

Parents
  • "U2" is the second universe, which runs from 1 to 512. You can either scroll (go above U1, 512) or toggle into it (Hit [More]) in the patch address select screens.

Each particular DMX address can only be patched to one thing in the console (Int fader or device), so you probably have unpatched much of the 'default' patch.

Eg If you start from the default patch and then tell the console that Device 1 is a Generic RGB on U1:1 to 3, dimmer faders 1 to 3 immediately get unpatched because DMX U1, 1, 2, and 3 are now being used elsewhere.

As you've got your intelligents patched already, you only need to go through your dimmers and patch them to U2: 1 to 40, plug everything in and you're done.

Dimmer Channel patch can be accessed as follows:

[Menu] > Patch > Patch By Channel > Select Patch Mode "Blind" >

Now you can hit [More] to toggle between U1 and U2, use the left-hand encoder to choose the channel (A1 to 24, B1 to 24) and the middle encoder to choose the DMX address in that universe. Hit [Sel] to patch or unpatch.

If the DMX address shows a star, that means it's already being used somewhere.

• awesome.  thanks for clearing that up.

Reply Children
No Data
Related