Dimmer Issue with Smartfade ML

I currently use a Smartfade ML for our lighting and have come across the following issue.  Four of my dimmer channels have mysteriously quit working.  Channels 1-3 on one dimmer and channel 5 on another dimmer have quit working.  I went to the patch by channel to check and the nonworking channels will not turn on when I go thru the patches in live mode. 

I ran a new cable direct to the dimmers form the smartfade ML and it did not change anything.  I switched the two dimmers addresses and the problem follows the dimmers.  Channels 1-3 and 5 do not respond.  The system is properly terminated but I wonder if I should reload the software or reset the Smartfade ML. 

Chip Cooper

Parents
  • From the testing that you've already done, there's nothing wrong with the SmartFade.

As the problem follows these specific dimmer channels, you've probably got some faulty dimmers, faulty power cables or faulty fixtures,

Have you checked the fixtures and power cables on 'working' channels? It could be something as simple as a few blown lamps.

If the fixtures and power cables are all ok, then check the fuses/circuit breakers for the dimmers, and if they are all ok then the fault is within those dimmer channels (eg blown triacs/SCRs), and you'll need to get someone to repair them.

• Thanks for the reply.  I may have not clearly stated the troubleshooting.  I switched address of channels 1-4 to 5-8 on the first dimmer and on the second dimmer I changed the address from 5-8 to 1-4.  Channels 1-3 adn 5 did not respond, just like when the first dimmer ran channels 1-4 and the second dimmer ran cahnnels 5-8.

Before this testing I took the dimmer down and tested it on a Leprecon board and it worked fine.  I even changed addresses to make sure and it worked as addressed.  This leads me to believe it is not the dimmers. 

Chip

• I hope you've found it by now...

My next trouble shooting step would be to clear the SmartFade.

• SAVE your show!! Maybe twice just to be sure you really have it.
    • THEN go into the menus and erase everything and reset the patch 1-1.
    • If that doesn't do it, call tech support, very patient and knowledgeable folks.
  • Thanks for the reply.  I haven't found the issue yet.  I tried clearing the INT A patches and repatched the channels, but the issue still remains.  I am planning to clear my smart fade and start over.  I just need to find the time to do it.  For now I have change the lighting that I need on the non working channels to ones that work.  It's a temporary fix till I get the time to save everything and start over.

Chip

• I finally found out that the issue was in Universe 1 of the Smartfade ML.  I ended up moving all the patches to Universe 2 and everything worked fine.  I will have to send the unit in for repair to get Universe 1 fixed.  Thanks for all the assistance to everyone that replied.

Reply Children
No Data
Related