MIDI issues

Hi!

I don't know if this is the right way to reach ETC people, but...

The MIDI implementation in SmartFade ML is very unfortunate i think. Since there is no jack for connecting neither a simple GO switch, nor a BACK switch, one is forced to use MIDI. And since ETC:s choice of midi program change only, as control of buttons, ther is no way to achieve BACK (you have to HOLD DOWN a button on the console and THEN press GO to go back...) Or am I missing something?

From my point of view it had been better to use a midi message more suitable for BUTTONS or KEY PRESSES. NOTE ON for pressed down and NOTE OFF for releasing, for example.

Even better would have been to be able to choose from a number of alternative midi control numbers, note on/off, sysex or whatever. It is not very hard to implement this.

Maybe my needs are a bit obscure: I need to use a wireless remote for GO, (BACK is impossible as I see it) and managed to work this out through adding a simple RF garage remote to a Behringer B-fader, wich converts a swith jack to program change. But this is extremely bulky.

Any chance of  making this happen? Changing the MIDI implementation I mean?

The SmartFade ML is otherwise very nice, I've really put it to test running a christmas show on it. Though there are some other quirks I found, too few steps in the stack beeing one...but I'll post that in another thread.

Best Regards,

Jan Sjöberg

• Hello,

I have noted your comment and made a change request to add a MIDI message for the BACK command.  I do not know when it will be possible to implement this change, so please do not hang on waiting for it in the very near future.  I think if we do this we will use Program change 123 for consistency with the other commands.

Did you know that if you operate Jump to step and then GO you can go to any step and that will operate properly across MIDI?  You can therefore simulate Back with a Jump to step, selecting the previous step number, and then GO.  I know this is not what you really would like but it might be a help.

• Hi and thanks for your answer.

It would be really nice to have BACK as well. But how about self being able to choose from a number of different MIDI messages? Top of my list is controller number...

And yes, I know of  "jump to" and GO, but that requires two key presses or even more midi processing...

And by the way, it works only for whole numbered steps... In our latest show I had almost filled the 200 available steps, and would have needed more...Had to cut some ugly corners to make it work. Any chance that the number of steps can increase in the next revision?

Best Regards,

Jan

• Hi Jan,

I would really like a copy of that show.  Large real shows like that are extremely useful for testing and hard to program realistically.  Please can you send the show to me at adam.bennette(at symbol)etcconnect.com.

I think we need to pick a fixed command for this.  SmartFade does not have the capacity for an anything to anything MIDI patch. 

I will look at the possibility of more steps.

Related