Unique MIDI Question

I am a Sound Engineer for a band, that is attempting to learn how to really tap into the features of the Smartfade ML.  Since I am a Nube . . . can you tell me if something is possible, and how I might go about setting this up?

What I want to do is link our Digital Performer setup with the Smartfade ML..  Our band uses backing tracks and a click when we perform, and I would like the Smartfade ML board to slave off of the Digital Performer unit.  I would like to create unique lighting stacks for each song, and have them load and start playing when the DP controller presses play . . . 

First off . . . is this possible?

If so, what sort of Hardware setup would I need?  Currently, our DP laptop is feeding a USB MOTU Midi distribution card with 4 outputs,

(1) is feeding a Triton Synth Rack,

(2) is feeding a Roland JV 880 synth,

(3) is feeding a TC Elec. M-One Effects and

(4) is feeding another TC M-One XL Effects unit. 

Can I route Midi thru the Smartfade board and then to one of the Effects Units?

Not very familiar with Midi in relation to machine control . . .

Thanks for any insight into this!

Parents
  • I'm not sure that I can offer a lot of help, I have an Ion not a Smartfade, but I wanted to encourage you to keep working at it.

I have a desktop in the control booth running SFX which sends midi controls much like DP does and after a couple of hours of hacking away at it (the SFX manual is pretty underwhelming) I finally got it connected to my Ion console. With the Ion I set up the light cues for a play and in SFX I could add instructions to run those cues as well as the audio cues. So the entire show could be run with one button. I even programmed my fancy USB remote so that it could initiate the next cue in the software and I could run the show backwards and forwards from anywhere in the facility.

I started out working on this because I had an explosion and I wanted the lights and sound to fire at the exact same time but I ended up with single button total show control.

• scottsmith said:

I have a desktop in the control booth running SFX which sends midi controls much like DP does and after a couple of hours of hacking away at it (the SFX manual is pretty underwhelming) I finally got it connected to my Ion console. With the Ion I set up the light cues for a play and in SFX I could add instructions to run those cues as well as the audio cues. So the entire show could be run with one button. I even programmed my fancy USB remote so that it could initiate the next cue in the software and I could run the show backwards and forwards from anywhere in the facility.

I started out working on this because I had an explosion and I wanted the lights and sound to fire at the exact same time but I ended up with single button total show control.

We recently set up a desktop with SFX 6 and have connected the MIDI Out on it (from an M-Audio Delta 1010LT card) to the MIDI In on our Ion. So far, we haven't had any luck getting them to talk so that an MSC command from SFX will run a cue on the Ion. Would you expand on how you got it to work? Thanks in advance.

• scottsmith said:

We recently set up a desktop with SFX 6 and have connected the MIDI Out on it (from an M-Audio Delta 1010LT card) to the MIDI In on our Ion. So far, we haven't had any luck getting them to talk so that an MSC command from SFX will run a cue on the Ion. Would you expand on how you got it to work? Thanks in advance.

Children
  • Well, It's been a few months so I don't remember all of the details but it sounds like you are on the right track.

On the Ion, I set up the MIDI using the manual. I don't remember the steps but I didn't do anything special so you should be able to figure that one.

As far as SFX goes, you have to set up a MIDI Patch first (File>Production Properties>MIDI Patch) and you need to use the Midi Show Control Effect not one of the other MIDI effects but it seems like you may have that. Here is a screen shot of the settings from one of my MSC Effects, maybe it will illuminate the process a bit. If you still have trouble let me know where you are and I'll try to help.

Related