Smartfade ML Questions

I used our SFML for the first time on a live show this weekend.  It was a concert style setting so I was working on the fly and a few things came to me.

1.  Is there a way to adjust pallet timing?  It seems all of the pallets fade in over 3 seconds, which is desirable sometime with pan/tilt, and even color, but with beam I almost always want a time of 0 and when working with color wheels a time of 0 would be nice.  Being able to adjust that on the fly would be amazing, but even just being able to adjust it in general would be nice.

2.  I used a lot of memories to set up base looks and build out of them to change the look.  I thought it was odd that I could not grab an intensity and reduce it if intensity was contributed by a memory.  I understand why intensity is not LTP, nor should it be, but it seemed logical that I should be able to go back to the intensity page, grab the fader and take control once the level is matched.  Did I miss something?

3.  I wanted to create an effect where the lights would sweep back and forth over the crowd (pan only).  I didn't see how I could accomplish this without writing a couple cues that simply moved the lights back and forth.  is it possible to create an effect that just affects pan or tilt only, not both?

4.  Finally, why is it not possible to pre-cue moving lights in next mode?  I realize it would be working blind (although perhaps that's a request for smartsoft, to indicate actual gobo/color status, not just pallet info) but I would have loved to be able to preset a few attributes and then fade to them in a given time.

Otherwise, still a great board!

Thanks!

Chris 

• Hello Chris:

1:  Yes, palette timing has a global default setting.  In SmartSoft it is on the System tab 'Default time: Palette'  On the console it is in the menu: Menu > Setup > Default times > FCB times > Dial for Palette time.  All palettes, F,C & B use the same time.

2:  This is basically not possible on an HTP mix of submasters as the level comes from the winning fader, and that changes as the faders are moved.  To take control in the way you suggest would in fact be LTP. 

3:  Yes, you can apply a linear effect, such as ramp or sine for instance, to any one parameter.  To make only pan have the effect do this:  Select device(s) > Shape/Effect > pick a linear effect on device selects 13-23 > pick parameter to apply effect to: Para 1 fader page/ bump 2 (pan) > sel. effect table with dial #3.  Adjust effect size and speed with other dials.

4:  Well, working blind with moving lights is more or less impossible to get right, so we didn't try.  Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback!

Adam

• Adam,

Thanks for the response, now I know for next time.

2.  Seems like this could be possible.  Not necessarily a true LTP, but the intensity channel could take over once the level is matched.  Maybe it's in the way I built my memories, but I ran into a number of instances where I wanted to bring down the level of a single light in the memory, but could not grab control of just the one channel.

4.  Seems like there is a way to work with moving lights in Next mode.  Especially when working with palettes.  Or if gobo and color wheel information was available in smart soft (actual names, not just wheel position).

Just a thought.

-Chris 

Related