Question on Fader Intensity when Switching Mems Modes

Hello all,

I have attempted to find this through google/searching here but have been unsuccessful so far.

I am using a Smartfade ML console to control a variety of lights. There appears to be a setting that allows the console to "remember" intensity settings when you switch from one mems channel to another. Unfortunately, this is turned off for me - I cannot remember where to turn it on.

In case that isn't clear, this is what I want to happen (and I know it can since it did it a while ago):
-Turn fader 1 to 50% on mems 1
-switch to mems 2
-change fader 1 - fader 1 adjusts to the setting stored in mems2, while keeping the intensity of the mems1 fader 1 setting (before switching)

Currently what happens is:
-Turn fader 1 to 50% on mems 1
-Switch to mems 2
-adjusting fader 1 changes the mems1 lighting, until the intensity reaches 0, and then it beings to control the mems2 setting

I would like to know what setting changes this as both are useful in different circumstances. I feel like it is a simple setting somewhere, except I don't know where it is :(

Many thanks in advance! If my question isn't clear feel free to ask and I can try to provide more information.
  • Hi,

There are 24 individual masters on a SmartFade ML console. Therefore, when you switch to a new memory page for the masters, active masters won't switch content until you have faded out the old content. Then it will switch to the new content and you can fade it in.

There is no setting for keeping the old content (and it cannot be since it is the same physical master). I have not been able to think of a way to achieve the behavior that you mean that you had earlier. I am puzzled by the fact that you had it working this way before! Let's see if someone else in this forum have some bright idea about this that can explain it.

• I am pretty sure that it was working that way previously.

I recently accidentally loaded someone's saved profile to the SmartfadeML board via the computer, which at the time I was unaware would override ALL current settings on the board - patches, mems channels, etc.  Oops.  Had to learn how to patch rather quickly as a result ;)

But, I am pretty sure that it worked that way previously, as I was really surprised to find the board working in the way it was.  It's possible however that I had not really interacted with multiple mems channels in such a way that would bring about this result until after loading a different profile.

It is possible to do this still using the IntA/IntB channels - if I put one of them up, switch to say mems1, and then move the fader down, the intensity from the intA/B channel remains.  That sort of functionality is what I thought existed even with the various mems channels.

• Hi there -

Therein lies the confusion. The Channel faders are different from the Memory or MEMS faders. When you bring up individual channels using the channel faders, they will play highest-takes-precedence with the memories, which can make it appear that the same fader can be the source of two looks. In reality, though, the memory faders can only be the source of one look at a time, while the channel fader pages actually remap the faders to a different kind of function. As I write this, I can see how this might not be really clear. In the end, though, only one memory page can be active at a time on a fader, so the behavior you originally described can't be possible. You could build up a look on channel faders, though, and share that with the Memories.

Thanks much -

Sarah

Related