Trouble creating User Personality for LED wash fixture for SFML

Hello,

I have been trying (without much success) to ceate a user personality for a set of LED wash fixtures I purchased recently. The fixtures are small PAR38 style LED's with eight one watt "3in1" LED per fixture. The problem lies in the fact that the fixture is a four channel fixture, and the control channel is on channel 1, with red being 2, green being 3, and blue being 4. The DMX documentation for the fixtures is, well, sparse... eg: exactly what I have listed. Through experimentation using a cheap DJ controller, I have acertained that the control channel functions as a master dimmer from values 0-150, and that other functions, such as strobe, lie beyond 150 to 255.

When programming a user personality, the intensity fader on the SFML will scroll through the unwanted functions above value 150, resulting in unwanted activity on the fixtures. Is there a way to limit the range of the intensity fader to 0-150, and/or split, so that the intensity fader controls channel 1 values 0-150 and another fader controls channel 1 values 150-255?

These fixtures are used primarily as truss warmers and are ideal for the application. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Parents
  • Unfortunately SmartFade ML does not support split functions in the way you require.

There may be a workaround:  If you patch the three colours to RGB and the control channel to a user channel (and not to Intensity).   In User Personality try this:

Offset 1 RGB Home:150 > Para2 > Bump 1 (Display says User1)
    Offset 2  RGB Home:0 > Para1> Bump 4 (display says Red)
    Offset 3 RGB Home:0 > Bump 4 (display says Green)
    Offset 4 RGB Home:0 > Bump 4 (Display says Blue)
    Press YES, Display says 'Fade With Intensity', Press YES again, Display says 'Toggle bumps for paramaters that should fade with intensity'
    Press Bump 4 (Hue)
    Press Exit (<<)

Now the three colour channels will fade with the intensity channel, but the device's channel 1 is patched to User1 and defaulting to 150.

It might work!  (or it might not, please let us know)

• Adam,

Sorry for the long delay in reply, I have been busy with work.

The profile instructions you posted enabled the light to operate; however, there is a lot of flickering (strobing) when setting the light to produce cyan or whitish colors. Straight red, green, or blue operation is fine, as is the yellows and violets. I have tried adusting the User1 value downwards a bit, but to no avail. I am working around this issue at the moment, but any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam 

• Adam B,

Hello,

After a bit of thought, I think I have come up with a possible workaround. As The SFML can send MIDI data, it should be possible to control a secondary console to for the miniPAR LED's. I own Elation's Compupro dongle/software, and it controls these fixtures without a hitch, and can accept MIDI data. So, in theory, I can design the majority of my show on the SFML, with the truss warmers (miniPAR LED's) controlled by the Elation software, and just send a MIDI command (as explained in the SFML manual) assigned to one fader on the SFML. I hope this makes sense, as I just had this idea while at a job and thought to post it to get your feedback.

Thanks,

Adam

• Adam B,

Hello,

After a bit of thought, I think I have come up with a possible workaround. As The SFML can send MIDI data, it should be possible to control a secondary console to for the miniPAR LED's. I own Elation's Compupro dongle/software, and it controls these fixtures without a hitch, and can accept MIDI data. So, in theory, I can design the majority of my show on the SFML, with the truss warmers (miniPAR LED's) controlled by the Elation software, and just send a MIDI command (as explained in the SFML manual) assigned to one fader on the SFML. I hope this makes sense, as I just had this idea while at a job and thought to post it to get your feedback.

Thanks,

Adam

Children
No Data
Related