How to Mirror Moving Lights

Hello,

I am wondering how to mirror several moving lights.  I would like to have them mirrored around stage center - one is on the left, and right.  If I control them simultaneously, they both move in the same direction when panning.  How can I set it so that when I move one towards the center, the other moves in the opposite direction (but also towards the center)?

I want to be able to basically control both lights simultaneously and move them towards/away from the center stage, and have one be the "opposite" - because if the stage right one moves toward center, it's moving left, whereas the stage left one has to move right to do that same visual move.  It seems this should be possible as it'd be quite useful but I just don't know how to do it :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Alden

Parents
  • I guess I forgot to mention I am using the SmartFade ML board (as my name implies).

• Hang them physically facing in the same direction (some have arrows on the base) and turn on "Invert Pan" for one of them.

[Menu] > 'Devices'
    Then use the right-hand encoder to choose "Invert Pan", the middle encoder to choose the Device number, and the [Sel] button to toggle Invert Pan on or off.

- You can also Invert Tilt if you want the fixtures to tilt in the opposite direction, and even swap Pan and Tilt if you prefer.

[edited by: Richard at 8:06 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Sep 7 2010]
  • Richard said:

Hang them physically facing in the same direction (some have arrows on the base) and turn on "Invert Pan" for one of them.

[Menu] > 'Devices'
    Then use the right-hand encoder to choose "Invert Pan", the middle encoder to choose the Device number, and the [Sel] button to toggle Invert Pan on or off.

- You can also Invert Tilt if you want the fixtures to tilt in the opposite direction, and even swap Pan and Tilt if you prefer.

Ah, this will be perfect - I knew there was a way to do this!

derekleffew said:
    If you're looking to use this as a positioning tool, and not as an all-the-time thing, the feature is called "fanning," and I don't think SmartFade supports it, yet.  Inverting Pan on all of the fixtures on one side of center line is a good work-around, until you want them to all go the same direction in a subsequent cue.

This is also good to know.

thank you both!

• Richard said:

Hang them physically facing in the same direction (some have arrows on the base) and turn on "Invert Pan" for one of them.

[Menu] > 'Devices'

Ah, this will be perfect - I knew there was a way to do this!

derekleffew said:
    If you're looking to use this as a positioning tool, and not as an all-the-time thing, the feature is called "fanning," and I don't think SmartFade supports it, yet.  Inverting Pan on all of the fixtures on one side of center line is a good work-around, until you want them to all go the same direction in a subsequent cue.

This is also good to know.

thank you both!

Children
No Data
Related