Suggestion for Fixture Personality Creator

Hi Everyone,

We have a couple of cheaper moving lights that (stupidly!) have intensity and strobe on the one DMX channel. For example, in percentages, 1-50 control the intensity of the light, and 51-100 control the strobe values. I have no idea why the manufacturer decided that this was a good idea, but as these lights are relatively cheap, I guess you get what you pay for!

It would be great if there was a way to either split the DMX channel over two desk channels on the console, or if that's not possible, put a limit on the maximum value of the DMX channel (i.e. the intensity strobe channel only goes up to a DMX channel value of 127).

Thanks!

Best Regards, Chris!

• I know this is an old post but there is a way to get around your problem if your fixture has individual colour levels (RGB etc) On Smartfade ML just create your own custom user personality for the fixture then when setting each parameter dont assign the Intensity channel - instead assign your Intensity/Strobe channel to the Strobe/Shutter channel only.  When you have assigned all parameters (except intensity) hit yes then you will be asked to select parameters on the bump buttons that will fade with Intensity.  Here you select your COLOUR channels (Hue/Sat) only.   Now patch your device and you will have a separate full throw fader for Intensity, and use the Strobe/Shutter channel to control strobe functions.  You may need to set a default level in the Strobe channel to open shutter/turn lamp on if your fixture needs this.   Hope this helps.

[edited by: stix at 9:56 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, May 17 2013]
  • You will want to set the Strobe/Shutter to Home to whatever value gives "maximum intensity".

If the fixture isn't an LED or other additive mixing, you can do the above but set the Shutter/Strobe attribute to Fade-With-Intensity instead to get a similar result.

This way around doesn't give as much resolution (fewer steps) of the 'virtual' Intensity than making the LED colours fade-with-intensity.

[edited by: Richard at 8:57 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, May 19 2013]
Related