Help? Writing personality for Elation Platinum Spot 5R Pro

Hello,

I'm working on creating my personality for the light.  I know etc provides in the library for the normal 5R but not the Pro.  Unfortunatly Elation decided to make things fun by changing the designations for the dmx traits.  I've gotten almost everything working correctly.  The only issues I am having are:

http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/platinum-spot-5r-pro-cutsheet.pdf <-page3 for standard traits

I can not get intensity to function.  Either it's on 100% or at 0%, nothing adjustable.  The strobe/shutter is home at one of the open segments (currently at 40) so that should not be the issue.

Also when I home the unit everything is fine except for the hue/sat.  I have it set as 0 for both, which is white...but homed it shows up all weird..very dim.  I have to raise and lower the sliders for hue/sat for it to reset to white.  Not sure what is up there.

Thank you so much in advance.  Show is Tuesday evening for me.  Simple set, primarly need the intensity to work.

[edited by: Librarian at 4:07 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Jul 23 2011]
Parents
  • Unfortunately without your show file I'll have to guess what's happened.

For Intensity, I'd guess that you've got the wrong Home value for Shutter/Strobe as the cutsheet doesn't give any Home values.

The manual says the Shutter/Strobe Home should be 255, so try that.

For the CMY Hue/Sat control, there's currently a bug in SFML v3.0.0 where CMY user personality fixtures need the Home to be the 'black' value as it gets inverted internally by the hue/saturation controller.

So at present, you'll need to set 255 as Home for C, M and Y. (Which then gets inverted to 0 at output)

Sorry about that, it is a bit confusing.

• Based on the manual (I'll paraphrase) I set it to an open setting..but not at 255.  So let me know if that's an issue.  I set home at 40....

0-31 shutter closed

32-63 no function (shutter open)

64-95 strobe effect slow to fast

96-127 no function (shutter open)

128-159 pulse-effect in sequences

160-191 no function (shutter open)

192-223 random strobe slow to fast

224-255 no function (shutter open)

Full traits are on page45 of the manual  Is there a reason that I cannot set the home at any of the "open" segments?

I will also try the CMY fix when I get to the board later today.  Is it possible for me to send you my show file if these adjustments do not work? 

---------------

Other information I have found out.  When I either use the intensity or the main intensity/blackout the lights will "dim from 100-90%" then go out...but the head also rotates to the default orientation.  Makes no sense as to why the blackout would do that, at least to me.

Last question I promise.  I don't know what dmx+21 is for the "scan speed".  So if that affects anything, please let me know.  I really appreciate the help.

[edited by: Librarian at 5:45 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jul 25 2011]
  • Yes, you're right - any of the "Open" settings should be fine for Home. (I was just looking at the fixture library for the SFML v3.0.1 beta)

Going by your final comment, it looks like you do have some errors in your User Personality, as the Grand Master only affects the attributes that SFML thinks are Intensity.

I'd suggest Erase and Make New on that personality and try again - likely you've got one or more of the attributes off-by-one.
    - Remember to set both "Pan" and "PanFine" (second hit of the Pan button) if you're in the "Std" mode.

"Scan Speed" is a fixture movement speed attribute, that allows you to adjust the maximum speed the fixture will move. Most people don't need it, and it's fixed at maximum speed in the ETC library fixtures. You could just miss it out and it'll use 0%.

As you might have guessed from the above, this fixture is going to be available in the library when SFML v3.0.1 is released, which is currently in internal beta testing.

• Yes, you're right - any of the "Open" settings should be fine for Home. (I was just looking at the fixture library for the SFML v3.0.1 beta)

Going by your final comment, it looks like you do have some errors in your User Personality, as the Grand Master only affects the attributes that SFML thinks are Intensity.

I'd suggest Erase and Make New on that personality and try again - likely you've got one or more of the attributes off-by-one.
    - Remember to set both "Pan" and "PanFine" (second hit of the Pan button) if you're in the "Std" mode.

"Scan Speed" is a fixture movement speed attribute, that allows you to adjust the maximum speed the fixture will move. Most people don't need it, and it's fixed at maximum speed in the ETC library fixtures. You could just miss it out and it'll use 0%.

As you might have guessed from the above, this fixture is going to be available in the library when SFML v3.0.1 is released, which is currently in internal beta testing.

Children
  • This will be my third attempt at creating the personality, but I will try it.  I'll set the home for intensity and shutter at 255 each, just to be safe.  Hopefully this time it will work.  Is there anyway that mis-setting other traits could mess this up?  For some of the Gobo options I put them where it would be good for me, but not sure if it's proper location (put an index as gobo2...etc).  Is it possible to try patching only shutter, intensity, pan & tilt just to make sure there are no issues that way?

Related