Smart Fade upgrade

Can anyone tell me how to do a usb upgrade using Windows XP AND Windows 7 other than the user manual steps?  I have followed all the instructins a million times but the console won't connect to either my desktop Windows XP or my laptop Windows 7.  Actually nothing happens.  I run the Downloader.exe,  get the awaiting window, turn the console on in test mode and go through all the tests up until the Firmware Upgrade message and it never connnects.  When I choose Yes the console does a few things then ends with File Not Found because it never connected.

Of course it did fail the Midi test because I don't have a midi cable to link with, but I wouldnt think any of the tests results should matter.

The only way I have been able to see either of my computers even recognize a usb device was connected is to just turn on the SF normally.  It then recognizes a new device but of course it wants drivers and fails.

Help please.  I don't want to have to go out and purchase a usb sd reader.

Parents
  • Im running Windows 7 not XP. There is a driver folder in your smartsoft install folder. Your file path may differ from mine depending where you installed it, mine is located at:

C:\Program Files\ETC\SmartSoft\Drivers

I would try a different USB cable, maybe the one you are using is bad?

Does your console talk to smartsoft when you load it?

Jeff Toussieng said:

The only way I have been able to see either of my computers even recognize a usb device was connected is to just turn on the SF normally.  It then recognizes a new device but of course it wants drivers and fails.

I took this line to mean that it did not. If thats the case I would get that working then try the update. I'm not positive but I think the same drivers are used.

• I read your post in the other thread. So I know you haven't gotten your devices to connect. When XP is looking for drivers point it towards the drivers folder found in the SmartSoft install folder. It should find a driver in one of the subfolders. Just be aware that the version of SmartSoft on your PC has to be the same version of software as whats currently on the console. Though if the versions are incompatible it just gives you an error message, and if you got that then you know that the devices are communicating.

• Hi Jeff,

Phone your nearest ETC technical support when you're in front of your computer and the console and they will talk you through the process.

Before you call, you'll need the following:

• Download and install SmartSoft v3.0.1 on your computer.
    • Have your SmartFade and a USB cable ready, but not connected to the computer.

The SmartFade uses a different driver during update to when it's running as a console, so it is not recommended to have the console connected to the computer before you get to the 'Firmware Update' stage, as Windows may get confused by the disconnection of the 'Console' and immediate reconnection of the 'Console waiting for Update'.

There is no requirement for an internet connection, all the drivers you need are installed as part of SmartSoft v3.0.1.

• For technical support in the Americas, please call 608/831-4116, or toll-free in the U.S. at 800/688-4116
    • For technical support in Europe, please call (+44) 20 8896 1000
    • For technical support in Germany, please call (+49) 8024 4700-0
    • For technical support in Asia, please call (+852) 2799 1220.

[edited by: Richard at 6:47 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, Nov 6 2011]
  • Hey everyone.

Thanks for all you help.  I'm trying to get an event togther on my ION for this week and thought i'd throw in a Smart Fade update but right now this is a bit more than I expected.  Certainly missed all of it in the SF manual.  So went and purchased a multi card usb reader and in 2 minutes I was updated.

Thanks again and will follow up further when things settle down.

• Hey everyone.

Thanks for all you help.  I'm trying to get an event togther on my ION for this week and thought i'd throw in a Smart Fade update but right now this is a bit more than I expected.  Certainly missed all of it in the SF manual.  So went and purchased a multi card usb reader and in 2 minutes I was updated.

Thanks again and will follow up further when things settle down.

Children
No Data
Related