'Cheat Sheet' for Smartfade ML?

Hey everyone.  I'm a computer guy by nature, but was 'forced' into lighting at our church, and lead a few other volunteers that run our Sunday services with a SmartFade ML.

First, it's a great board.  Been very happy with it.  I've setup a stack with about 10 steps, that transition to all the cues we have during a Sunday service.

It works very well, but our volunteers 'freak out' when something bad happens. (IE: They hit play twice, they hit pause, or need to jump back to the previous step.)

I'm thinking about making a 'cheat sheet' that lists a lot of the common button presses that you'll commonly use during a show.  I know a lot of it is printed on the board itself, but it's not the easiest to read when you're in the middle of a show. Something laminated in large print that you could easily find the correct keys.

Has anyone already made something like this? 

If not, I'd like to make one, but was wondering if ETC (or someone else!) have Visio stencils or PNG images of the buttons on the board?  Would make creating one much easier if I didn't have to recreate the buttons.

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
  • This is great. I will use it during programming and let you know my comments.

Thanks and greetings

Nico Vellinga

• Ellen,

This is a great cheat sheet.  I was looking to do something similar to this but you have given me more than I owuld have put into one.  Covers all the high points I get questions about all the time.  Thanks for sharing.

Chip Cooper

• Ellen,

This looks great! Nice work.

We have been selling a lot of these as a low-cost way to deal with Selador rigs. Many are not using any actual moving lights but the color select is very useful.

How knowledgeable are you about the color parameters on ML with Paletta? There are "active faders" on 1 and 3-9 but all we can seem to use are Intensity, Hue and Sat (on 1, 3 and 4). What do the other faders 5-9 do? Is there a way to use "native" 7-color control?

• I guess that I will post it then.  Thanks for your input.

• Paul,

I have not used the Paletta fixtures, but I have used the Vivid-R fixtures.  Our ML board still has firmware 2.*** which does not utilize all 7 colors in the Hue and Saturation faders.  If you have Firmware 3 then the Hue and saturation faders (3&4) may be taking control of the other faders.  Faders 5-8 should control the other colors, Red-orange, Amber, Cyan, and Indigo.  I am not sure what fader 9 should do.  In order to see just these colors, I have to use the encoder wheels on the color page and roll R,G & B to 0, then  I can see the other colors come up with the faders 5-8.  Hope this helps.

• The Hue/Sat faders try to give you a spread of pre-mixed colours across the whole rainbow (where possible)

Therefore these faders control all the 'colours' in colour mixing fixtures - though they don't control any White emitters (or CTC) as that has a different effect on colour and we chose to let you decide how much "White" you want.

In five, six and seven colour fixtures the other Colour section faders control specific colour emitters, overriding the Hue/Sat faders.
    Exactly which fader does what is listed in the Library Contents html file.

As theisbr said, if you want direct control of the Red, Green and Blue/Indigo emitters (or CMY for subtractive) on colour mixing fixtures you'll need to use the encoders.

[edited by: Richard at 10:13 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Apr 3 2012]
Related