Smartfade ML linear effects

I am only a recent buyer of the ML, wanting a desk that can control both my moving lights, and my intensity lights.

Can someone please explain in more detail how (if?) I can apply the Linear Effects to (eg) 4 par 64 cans? I can't follow the manual. Is there a video tutorial?

Parents
  • Video tutorials are available at http://www.etcconnect.com/product.tutorial.asp?ID=20338

:-) 

[edited by: mgarrison at 8:27 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Nov 30 2007]
  • After my last dumb, untrue post about this I found my brain.  (Anders found it for me).

Yes, you can apply linear effects to conventional dimmers, here's how:

Press EFFECT,
    Pick a linear effect on device selects 13-23 (you may need to set up the effect first with EDIT EFFECT)
    Pick INT A or INT B
    Pick the bump to apply the effect to.

Linear effects are applied as a swinging positive and negative value around the 'rest' value.  Set the fader to 50% and set the effect depth to 100% to get the maximum possible depth.

• Thanks for above replies, but I'm afraid you are talking to a guy who is only used to moving intensity faders up and down in my church manually as required - not used to any programming/playback.  Questions are still - 1) how do I apply effects to my 4 channels of colour intensities? 2) Once I create the effect as you have mentioned (I seem to be able to do this OK), but how do I 'make it happen'' ? e.g. make my four channels 'wander' (effect 5)?

• The best way to do this will be to set up the effect(s) and looks that you want to use, and then record them into various subs (Red fader mode).

To record:

• Set up the 'look' you want.
    • Hit [Rec All] or [Rec Sel]
    • Hit the Bump Buttton for the place you want to record it. 

[Rec Sel] might be the best way to record them, as that does partial memories rather than recording everything, so you can mix and match to some extent.

You can then play them back by raising and lowering the subs or pressing the Sub Bump buttons (depending on how you set it up).

Remember that you can always hold [Clear] and press [Shape/Effect] to quickly stop all the running effects, if you ever find yourself a bit lost and wondering why something is still moving!

Try sitting at the console with the manual when you have some spare time and work through the parts you are interested in - you'll probably soon find that you can program with the best of us.

As with most things, practice makes perfect!

• Thanks Richard for this. I think have recorded an effect (Linear 'Wander') into Memory 1. I can select 'Edit Effect' & see Fader 1 glow, with info on the display defining the Linear Effect. But nothing I do will 'play' the effect. I select 'Memory' then raise slider 1; nothing happens. What are the 'subs', and 'red fader mode' ?

Sorry I'm so thick

• Still having an issue with this, if anyone can help...

I am studying (again) the on-line tutorials, but still haven't find my answer. I notice the tutorial menu says one can download the tutorials.  I cannot find them in the download area. Is there an address to go to?

Reply Children
  • I have been working with this and think I figured it out.

I had to build the wander effect in advance on to Effect 13. I just hit [edit effect] [13] and selected wander from the encoder. Then hit [edit effect]

I could not create the effect from scratch using intensities but had to use the method above.

Then apply the effect to each channel of intensity you wish. [effect][13][int a][flash button for channel]

You must apply to each channel individually.

Then [record all] [memory flash key]

Clear the effects by [hold clear][effect]. If you don't clear them - they don't stop.

Now go into memory mode and bring the fader up. I have channels 1-4 wandering. You can speed up and effect other parameters by using [edit effect]

The SmartFade ML tutorials are not downloadable due to there format. I am working to change that. We do have a CD available. If you'd like a CD - send me your snail mail address at david.lincecum AT etcconnect DOT com

Hope it helps.

Related