Net3 Network Latency Issues

Hi There:

Periodically I'm having a really bad network delay in one of the two Net3 Gateways we have on the lighting network.  I don't think that the gateway itself is the problem, I'd just like to see if my thought process on the situation isn't missing anything.  The gateway is outputting everything correctly, just with a 5-10 second delay from the desk.  It's also the entire gateway, not any specific ports.  It isn't snapping its output to where it should be; cues and manual commands are running in the correct time, just with the delay.  Because of this I don't think that there's a network connectivity issue or a bad cable somewhere.

Because I don't think the gateway or any cables are to blame I think that the issue is the brand of switches the company is using.  They're these plastic TP-Link things, and although they're gigabit switches, they don't strike me as switches of the highest quality.  They seem to be the point of failure, so I would hope that replacing them with something a little beefier (I'm a fan of Netgear's switches) would fix the issue.

Is there anything that I could be missing in this assessment?  Has anyone seen a delay like this in Net3 Gateways before?

Parents
  • One thing it may be worth looking for also is any accidental network loops in the system. A "loop" is where a switch is accidentally plugged into two ports of the same switch, or two switches are connected via two cable runs. It's easy to accidentally make that happen when replugging, so I would suggest taking the system down to be as simple as possible (e.g. just the console and the gateway plugged into one switch, nothing else).

I have seen loops cause just the kind of effect you describe, because the traffic keeps circulating around the network, essentially "filling the pipe" with repeated data.
  • The TL-SG1005D datasheet doesn't list any storm protection features.
    Nor does it has any loop protection, so Tom's suggestion of a network loop is very plausible.
Reply Children
No Data
Related