Wiki type of Manual

eugp:

Hi,

Might it be possible to create an online Wiki type of manual where users could annotate and post to a common, shared manual?

I understand this would add yet another task for the EOS/ION team to manage and moderate, but the result would be a rich and detailed set of instructions and experience available to any registered user.

After reading the entire manual and still not being able to find procedures and information I would appreciate this sort of resource.  Perhaps this is more relevant for new users but that is the point.  

trusswalker:

Hi Eugene...

Yes, it's possible and we've even thought about that kind of thing a bit. Perhaps we just don't know enough about how to get there from where we are now, as it seems like it would be a huge undertaking. We currently author in FrameMaker as that gives the best ability to generate large complex documents with cross-referenced links and so on. The requirement that many companies/sites have of a printed document won't let us leave this primary source right now. How to get that content into the form of a Wiki is what challenges me.

I've also been looking at some other software that would allow user comments to shared with other users via a help system or web-based documentation.

The short-term piece of information would be if any of our forum readers out there know of some good tools to help convert content into generic wiki formatting. The actual wiki side of things is actually easier.

In the meantime, I would encourage you to email me directly (straut at etcconnect.com, or our dept. email of: techcomm at etcconnect.com) about what other procedures and information you couldn't find or think needs to be added. We are working on updates for v1.4 right now and it would be an excellent time to try and incorporate your suggestions. I make no promises about getting to everything, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks for the comment and I hope to hear more from you soon!
-Steve

Pat Immel:

I agree with Eugene that a wiki type manual would be a GREAT...a HUGE timesaver and a wonderful resource!  But I can sympathize with Steve as it would be a monumental undertaking.

Here is hoping that something like this can be worked out.  Thanks!

Pat

eugp:

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I figured it is a tricky undertaking.  Allowing it to exist entirely on line, with no real print ability, might mean it could come alive sooner and then get moved over to a more print friendly environment later.  It also seems like a great deal of inter-manual linking would be great, but again, if it keeps it out of reach of reality, then I would give that up as well.  Most search engines, both if set up internally or even externally, will sift through html anyway, so you end up with a good index with just a search.  We often run rehearsels with the manual open in adobe reader so that a search for content can be done on the fly.

Mediawiki looks tough.

Sincerely, 

trusswalker:

I have to tell you... this has sparked the conversation again here at ETC. While I don't know exactly what's possible yet, I have found a few leads out there on how to make this go easier.

That brings me to the next question... What smaller/shorter/simpler document would like us to try this out on? (assuming the other necessary stars align in order to make this happen) I really don't see the 350+ page Eos or Ion manuals being the first thing we try. But I don't want to waste my time with something that nobody cares about right now either.

And for simplicity of use, configuration and maturity... I've been partial to PmWiki in some of the messing around I've done in my home life. I'll take a look at Mediawiki as well. I've heard other good bits about it before.

Again... key question: What smaller/shorter/simpler document would like us to try this out on?

Let me know what you all have to say.

-Steve

Pat Immel:

Thanks Steve!  That's Great!

How about the Universal Fader Wings...it seems like everybody uses those!

Pat

Hi All...

This is the new home to this thread (and hopefully more like it) on the topic of documentation. And a continuation of this particular topic from the Eos (and Ion) Forum.

Please stay tuned for more information about a potential documentation wiki.

And by all means keep the suggestions coming. It's also been suggested that we try converting the RFR Setup Guide for a wiki document.

I hope to hear more from everyone in the forums about what we can do to make our documentation better. Additionally, we've got a couple ideas (that will be new to ETC) about how we can deliver that content to you in more useful ways... such as wikis.

Thanks

-Steve

• Hi Eugene,

Yes you should be able to copy and paste from our manuals, and normally you can. This would be an example of a newbie mistake, I missed a check box that I shouldn't have. Sorry about that! I'll get that fixed.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Ginger

• I am newly registered and just started looking through the forums.  I noticed that this post hasn't seen any activity for months now.  Any update on the wiki?

Thanks

• Hi,

Not really, though I think ETC is working on it as a lower priority.  I gave up on building a wiki since I do not think ETC considers it in their best interest to release the copyrights to output the existing factory manual to html, Without that I could not rebuild the manual on a private wiki type website.  I was trying out ProjectForum, a simple and inexpensive type of wiki.

My impression is that presently ETC would prefer that manual content suggestions be funneled through them.  If people have something to add to the existing manual I'm sure they would include it.

I still think it's a good idea and would put it up privately if I could.