Making a Larger #Lighthack ?

Hi All, 

Thanks for all your work on this project. I've made my lighthack Box1 and have been using it happily for the last couple of months. 

I have an LXkeys and am now wondering if I could make a larger set of encoders (4 or even 6) to act as a surround for the LXkeys (thus more closely mimicking the console layout). 

Not knowing too much about the Arduino script, is it possible for the encoders to be dynamic, i.e. respond to (Focus, Beam, Colour, Shutter etc.) (encoders 1,2,3,4 as you would find on a console) ? Or do I need to hard write an encoder to a specific parameter (like the Pan/Tilt parameters behave) ?

Many thanks

James

• Eos doesn't send the encoder mapping through OSC. It only send a numbered list of parameters the selected fixture has. So there is no easy solution.
    There are lighthacks out there that use quite a complex custom script to analyse this list and then assign them parameters to the encoders. So it's possible but involves coding...
  • 1. Arduino is no script, it is framework based on C++
    2. Uli is right when he is says there is no 1:1 solution of the encoder pages of EOS systems transformed to OSC.
    3. Meanwhile you can get get information about the category of parameters that are used by a fixture -> have a look to the manual.
    4. It is not easy to get the infos you needed, if you are not a good C++ programmer, you need good knowledge about handling Strings (Arduino Strings !!!).
    5. You can get the two ways you described, the hard coded categories might be the easier way.
  • Thanks for all the advice. My interest was really in taking the existing #lighthack template and adjusting/adding to it.

Is there a way of changing the encoder function in the Arduino, using a toggle switch or similar ?

For example, if I had a 4 pole double throw switch (ON-OFF-ON), could I have the four encoders mapped to, for example:

Pan/Tilt/Zoom/Intensity

and then flick the switch to get:

Hue/Saturation/Intensity/Shutter Strobe

(or some other combination)

Connected to different Analog In Pins on the Arduino Post switch of course.

Would anything happen to the Arduino if an encoder appears/disappears to it whilst in use ?

Many thanks

James
  • Yes, it is possible ton change the encoder functions, you have to deal with Arrays which contents the parameter information.
    You have many pins where you can connect a switch, or better use a push button, like for the next/last/shift function.