x-Spot Lens tool?

Hey guys,

So what ever happened to develping a tool to open the lens tube the x-Spot.:confused:

I've got a bunch 0f 2:1 Xtremes that have all kinds of residue (from F-100 HQ fog) on the inside of the supposedly sealed lens tube.:rolleyes:

I've got some lovely lens/dichroic cleaning fluid from Rosco and really nice micro-fiber lens wipes on standby just waiting to make things clear again!:sad2:
Parents
  • In my experience,
    Taking apart a xspot lens tube is just asking for trouble.

I had one that was damaged and took it apart for fun, and there are alot of tiny bearings, grease, and little pieces and parts that are pretty easy to misplace, or put back in the wrong orientation, plus the edges of some of the lenses are very thin and fragile.
    Of course, I took apart a 4:1 lens, so there was more glass, but I wouldn't attempt it on a lens I needed, especially since a replacement is more than 1000$
    That being said, I had good luck opening the lens by tapping the front ring out with a screwdriver and a small hammer just tapping the ring around gently..
    the rear lens just unscrews fromthe body, but thats where all the bearings will fall out if you are not extremely careful.
    all the center lenses are the ones that move forward and back, they are held in place by 3 or 4 screws in the races that move them forward and backwards, you would have to peel off the plastic that seals the lens to remove them.
    As I said, if you have a lens you don't need or is damaged, I would try it on one of those first, just so you see what you are getting yourself into.
    Good luck,
    Joshua Wood
    Service Manager
    Ruehling Associates Inc.
  • In my experience,
    Taking apart a xspot lens tube is just asking for trouble.

I had one that was damaged and took it apart for fun, and there are alot of tiny bearings, grease, and little pieces and parts that are pretty easy to misplace, or put back in the wrong orientation, plus the edges of some of the lenses are very thin and fragile.
    Of course, I took apart a 4:1 lens, so there was more glass, but I wouldn't attempt it on a lens I needed, especially since a replacement is more than 1000$
    That being said, I had good luck opening the lens by tapping the front ring out with a screwdriver and a small hammer just tapping the ring around gently..
    the rear lens just unscrews fromthe body, but thats where all the bearings will fall out if you are not extremely careful.
    all the center lenses are the ones that move forward and back, they are held in place by 3 or 4 screws in the races that move them forward and backwards, you would have to peel off the plastic that seals the lens to remove them.
    As I said, if you have a lens you don't need or is damaged, I would try it on one of those first, just so you see what you are getting yourself into.
    Good luck,
    Joshua Wood
    Service Manager
    Ruehling Associates Inc.
Children
No Data
Related