DMX issue

Boy, I sure inherited a good venue...

Alright. New problem.

I have a CMY Studio Spot 575, then 4 Studio Spot 250s, another CMY Studio Spot 575, and then finally a Colorpower Box before the run terminates.

Worked beautifully for a year until last week. All my movers are not listening now. The Colormergers at the end of the run are still trucking along and listening to the hog, but there is nothing out of the movers.

Ideas? Suggestions?

-scratch
Parents
  • Those symptoms sound more like bad cable. Bad as in the wrong type of cable. One that is not spec'd for 485 communications. Like microphone cable. I say this because you said you inherited this venue. Make s me think the cabling is existing runs in the house.

Possible things to do...

First,
    Verify the cables from source to 1st fixture, 1st to 2nd fixture... and so on.
    Their manufacturer and specs should be printed on them.
    Here's a link to more info.

www.usitt.org/standards/DMX512_FAQ.html

Second,
    The other problem may be a failing connection at one ond of a cable.

Third,
    Or as Marty said, a fixture corrupting the DMX
    Sounds like you started doing this.
    You can go back again and start at the beginning adding fixtures to see when they go bad. Rememeber that as you pull the cable to the next fixture you'll need to terminate the output.

Also, can you get your hands on a good DMX tester?

Hope you figure it out. When you do tell us.

Cat
  • Those symptoms sound more like bad cable. Bad as in the wrong type of cable. One that is not spec'd for 485 communications. Like microphone cable. I say this because you said you inherited this venue. Make s me think the cabling is existing runs in the house.

Possible things to do...

First,
    Verify the cables from source to 1st fixture, 1st to 2nd fixture... and so on.
    Their manufacturer and specs should be printed on them.
    Here's a link to more info.

www.usitt.org/standards/DMX512_FAQ.html

Second,
    The other problem may be a failing connection at one ond of a cable.

Third,
    Or as Marty said, a fixture corrupting the DMX
    Sounds like you started doing this.
    You can go back again and start at the beginning adding fixtures to see when they go bad. Rememeber that as you pull the cable to the next fixture you'll need to terminate the output.

Also, can you get your hands on a good DMX tester?

Hope you figure it out. When you do tell us.

Cat
Children
No Data
Related