Technobeam

Hello,

I want to buy six TECHNOBEAM made in 1998. Are there problems known on the machines manufactured this year there? Are they good machines?
I am sorry, but my English is very bad because I am French.

Thank you very much.
Parents
  • Not so obvious actually,
    If you weren't a experienced High End tech, you probably wouldn't know about this..
    He is talking about the Crowbar circuit in the newer techno-beams,
    Basically, it is there in case someone puts the wrong voltage into a techno.
    Such as if you had it tapped for 110, but plugged it into a 208 distro.
    What happens is that the fixture will blow the fuse, thus saving the fixture from damage.

in some of the older fixtures this crowbar circuit didn't work very well, so they made a small change and added a Transorb across one of the capacitors on the board, In these boards, if there is a problem with voltage, this transorb will short, and cause the fuse to blow, of course, if you don't know about the transorb, you will just keep plugging in the board, and keep blowing fuses. To test if the problem is the transorb,

First make sure you have set the voltage switches correctly, then just snip one of the leads of the transorb, It is the piece that looks like a large Diode that is soldered to the leads of a Cap on the right side of the board. It looks a bit like it was added as an afterthought.

Once you have snipped one side of the transorb, thus taking it out of the circuit, you can go ahead and power up the fixture again, if it doesn't blow fuses, you have found the problem, you can go ahead and replace the Transorb and you are good to go.

Now, I know some people are thinking, that if the fixture is working, why bother to replace the transorb, well, if you are brave, you don't have to, but if someone were to plug the fixture into the wrong power again, it is going to blow up the 1200$ Logic card.
    But if it's your fixture, its your call....

FYI The Transorb is Part Number 90310019
    I know Puffy said that this part is a Zener Diode, and he may be correct, but I know that the part was always described to me as a transorb. Perhaps a transorb is a type of zener diode....

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Geez, this turned into a long post, I wrote papers in college that weren't this long...

Joshua Wood

Oh, and I believe the crowbar circuit is named by its similarity to using a crowbar to blow fuses in a panel by shorting them with a crowbar...
    But I may have just made that part up....
  • Not so obvious actually,
    If you weren't a experienced High End tech, you probably wouldn't know about this..
    He is talking about the Crowbar circuit in the newer techno-beams,
    Basically, it is there in case someone puts the wrong voltage into a techno.
    Such as if you had it tapped for 110, but plugged it into a 208 distro.
    What happens is that the fixture will blow the fuse, thus saving the fixture from damage.

in some of the older fixtures this crowbar circuit didn't work very well, so they made a small change and added a Transorb across one of the capacitors on the board, In these boards, if there is a problem with voltage, this transorb will short, and cause the fuse to blow, of course, if you don't know about the transorb, you will just keep plugging in the board, and keep blowing fuses. To test if the problem is the transorb,

First make sure you have set the voltage switches correctly, then just snip one of the leads of the transorb, It is the piece that looks like a large Diode that is soldered to the leads of a Cap on the right side of the board. It looks a bit like it was added as an afterthought.

Once you have snipped one side of the transorb, thus taking it out of the circuit, you can go ahead and power up the fixture again, if it doesn't blow fuses, you have found the problem, you can go ahead and replace the Transorb and you are good to go.

Now, I know some people are thinking, that if the fixture is working, why bother to replace the transorb, well, if you are brave, you don't have to, but if someone were to plug the fixture into the wrong power again, it is going to blow up the 1200$ Logic card.
    But if it's your fixture, its your call....

FYI The Transorb is Part Number 90310019
    I know Puffy said that this part is a Zener Diode, and he may be correct, but I know that the part was always described to me as a transorb. Perhaps a transorb is a type of zener diode....

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Geez, this turned into a long post, I wrote papers in college that weren't this long...

Joshua Wood

Oh, and I believe the crowbar circuit is named by its similarity to using a crowbar to blow fuses in a panel by shorting them with a crowbar...
    But I may have just made that part up....
Children
No Data
Related