Strike issues with StudioSpot 575

Hi,

I have some older (99-01 era) Studios Spot 575s.
One of them just today started having lamp strike issues. After powerup and homing, the display says STRK for a few seconds, then goes black. There is no "strike" sound, and the lamp remains dead cold. after about 30-60 seconds I get a "LITE TOUT" error. I've replaced the lamp with a new one, but I know both lamps work fine, I tested in other SS fixtures. This fixture was working fine last I turned it on about a week ago. Any thoughts on where I should start my troubleshooting?

Thanks,
David Woodworth
Lighting Technical Director
World Revival Church
Parents
  • [quote=tadawson]Not that it has any bearing on this problem, but dimmers *NEVER* output a square wave . . . ever! The chopping of a sine way that occurs in an SCR or Triac dimmer will yeild a very fast rise on the leading edge of the wave, and a normal waveform on the backside . . . and when at full, the "chop" is typically .7 to 1 volt or so before the device conducts, so if you were to look at the sine wave, it would be almost perfect, with one little "glitch" right after the zero crossing point . . .

Granted, chokes and voltage regulation makes the situation a wee bit more complicated that this with inductive loads, but my underlying point holds true.

(I tried to find a graphic online of a phase control output, but couldn't come up with anything in a timely manner, nor do I have an oscilloscope camera to generate my own . . . sorry!).

- Tim

Point is running an intel off a dimmer is a bad Idea :nono: so on that point I agree with TimMiller. I have seen guys blow up a lot of gear just because they were too lazy to run up another soco cable. It happens. One company blew 21 :eek: in one weekend. 16 on another show and 8-10 on a few others.
    It's just not the thing to do. It's not a matter of "if", but when,.. it will happen.
    It's protocol here to never run a fixture with a dimmer. It's one of my 'laws'. Break the law, blow up the gear, you pay for it.:dunce:
  • [quote=tadawson]Not that it has any bearing on this problem, but dimmers *NEVER* output a square wave . . . ever! The chopping of a sine way that occurs in an SCR or Triac dimmer will yeild a very fast rise on the leading edge of the wave, and a normal waveform on the backside . . . and when at full, the "chop" is typically .7 to 1 volt or so before the device conducts, so if you were to look at the sine wave, it would be almost perfect, with one little "glitch" right after the zero crossing point . . .

Granted, chokes and voltage regulation makes the situation a wee bit more complicated that this with inductive loads, but my underlying point holds true.

(I tried to find a graphic online of a phase control output, but couldn't come up with anything in a timely manner, nor do I have an oscilloscope camera to generate my own . . . sorry!).

- Tim

Point is running an intel off a dimmer is a bad Idea :nono: so on that point I agree with TimMiller. I have seen guys blow up a lot of gear just because they were too lazy to run up another soco cable. It happens. One company blew 21 :eek: in one weekend. 16 on another show and 8-10 on a few others.
    It's just not the thing to do. It's not a matter of "if", but when,.. it will happen.
    It's protocol here to never run a fixture with a dimmer. It's one of my 'laws'. Break the law, blow up the gear, you pay for it.:dunce:
Children
No Data
Related