How can I improve my design skills as a programmer?

I am still rather new to working professionally in this field and after the last few gigs that I did I was told that I need to work on my design skills and knowledge. I am looking for any advice and works of wisdom on how to improve on this. What are the good books, are there any classes that would help? How about exercises or anything that helped you. Thanks for your time.
Parents
  • Joshua,
    A few books that I have read and recommend are the following:

Concert Lighting - James Moody
    Theatrical Design and Production - J. Michael Gillette
    Automated Lighting - Richard Cadena
    Light on the Subject - David Hays
    From Page to Stage - Rosemary Ingham
    The Automated Lighting Programmer's Handbook - Brad Schiller
    Scene Design and Stage Lighting - Parker, Wolf, and Block

I would also recomment Light Fantastic. I haven't read it yet but it is at the top of my list. I would HIGHLY ADVISE subscribing to PLSN, Live Design, and Light and Sound America. All of these are free and have great pictures, interviews, and columns. I have learned a ton just reading these magazines every month. Also, read manufacturer forums and especially the Light Network.

Reading all this stuff will definitely get you into the game quickly, knowledgee-wise, but as everybody will tell you nothing subtitutes for getting out there and doing it. If you are in theater try to be an assistant or just hang out and ask questions. Some colleges and rental companies have light labs where you can hang up a few lights and play with different color and angles.

Also, go to concerts, theater, and any other show you can. Pay attention to the colors and angles that are being used. Look up at the grid and see what fixtures are up there. Unfortunately, once you get into lighting you'll do this at every show! I know I do. If you don't have many shows in your area then rent DVDs of them.

Just get out there and learn, learn, learn. Good luck.
  • Joshua,
    A few books that I have read and recommend are the following:

Concert Lighting - James Moody
    Theatrical Design and Production - J. Michael Gillette
    Automated Lighting - Richard Cadena
    Light on the Subject - David Hays
    From Page to Stage - Rosemary Ingham
    The Automated Lighting Programmer's Handbook - Brad Schiller
    Scene Design and Stage Lighting - Parker, Wolf, and Block

I would also recomment Light Fantastic. I haven't read it yet but it is at the top of my list. I would HIGHLY ADVISE subscribing to PLSN, Live Design, and Light and Sound America. All of these are free and have great pictures, interviews, and columns. I have learned a ton just reading these magazines every month. Also, read manufacturer forums and especially the Light Network.

Reading all this stuff will definitely get you into the game quickly, knowledgee-wise, but as everybody will tell you nothing subtitutes for getting out there and doing it. If you are in theater try to be an assistant or just hang out and ask questions. Some colleges and rental companies have light labs where you can hang up a few lights and play with different color and angles.

Also, go to concerts, theater, and any other show you can. Pay attention to the colors and angles that are being used. Look up at the grid and see what fixtures are up there. Unfortunately, once you get into lighting you'll do this at every show! I know I do. If you don't have many shows in your area then rent DVDs of them.

Just get out there and learn, learn, learn. Good luck.
Children
No Data
Related