Douse-ing Moving Lights

Do people douse lamps in ML's and let them cool down before removing power, or just remove power?

Looked in some manuals and didn't see anything either way.

Also, I would like to see someone from High End comment on this from the manufacturers perspective.

Cat
Parents
  • I just posted this in the lightnetwork as well.

Someone correctly posted earlier that once the lamp is extinguished, it is no longer generating heat. With that being said there is no real advantage to the method in which it cools. The cooling system built in the moving light is there to keep the lamp within its normal operating temperature range, overtemping the lamp will certainly cause the lamp life to be shortened. If your moving light was designed with mechanical forced air (fans) allowing it to run after the lamp is shut off will allow it to cool faster therefore allowing you to put it back in the case sooner, or allowing you to re strike your lamp if necessary. That is probably the only advantage to not just killing power to those types of fixtures. We have not seen any damage to a moving light lamp, board, or otherwise by just killing the power to the fixture. I will say that it is important to let the fixture cool prior to putting it in its case, so the dissipating heat has somewhere to go.
  • I just posted this in the lightnetwork as well.

Someone correctly posted earlier that once the lamp is extinguished, it is no longer generating heat. With that being said there is no real advantage to the method in which it cools. The cooling system built in the moving light is there to keep the lamp within its normal operating temperature range, overtemping the lamp will certainly cause the lamp life to be shortened. If your moving light was designed with mechanical forced air (fans) allowing it to run after the lamp is shut off will allow it to cool faster therefore allowing you to put it back in the case sooner, or allowing you to re strike your lamp if necessary. That is probably the only advantage to not just killing power to those types of fixtures. We have not seen any damage to a moving light lamp, board, or otherwise by just killing the power to the fixture. I will say that it is important to let the fixture cool prior to putting it in its case, so the dissipating heat has somewhere to go.
Children
No Data
Related