Should I buy XSpots?

I am looking for intelligent fixtures to use in a room with a lot of ambient lighting and a 40'-50' trim height. I don't have the funds to purchase brand new fixtures. Would you recommend XSpots? If not, any other fixture you recommend? My concern is their age. Is that generally a problem with these fixtures? The specs look great, I just don't want to buy lights that break down on me in a few months because they are older. Anyone have experience with these lights that they can share with me? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Ethan
Parents
  • [quote=TimMiller]I personally think x-spots are one of the most tempermental fixtures made. Seems like they love to throw errors. Also, you need to look at the yolk bracket and see if its the newer design. If not plan to spend some money getting the upgraded one. The older ones crack and the light ends up breaking the tilt edge sensor.
    Considering that there is so much more going on in an X-Spot than a Cyber, it comes as no surprise to me that there would be more errors - simple probability! With more things that can go wrong, it'll happen more often . . . . Now, having said that, the modularity of the X-Spot makes it really quick and easy to swap out problematic modules, and to work on them *NOT* in the air . . . .

And when did the yoke change happen? Were the XTremes ever built with the old design? I may need to check mine, although they were factory rebuilt two to three years ago, so I would think they are OK . . .

- Tim
  • [quote=TimMiller]I personally think x-spots are one of the most tempermental fixtures made. Seems like they love to throw errors. Also, you need to look at the yolk bracket and see if its the newer design. If not plan to spend some money getting the upgraded one. The older ones crack and the light ends up breaking the tilt edge sensor.
    Considering that there is so much more going on in an X-Spot than a Cyber, it comes as no surprise to me that there would be more errors - simple probability! With more things that can go wrong, it'll happen more often . . . . Now, having said that, the modularity of the X-Spot makes it really quick and easy to swap out problematic modules, and to work on them *NOT* in the air . . . .

And when did the yoke change happen? Were the XTremes ever built with the old design? I may need to check mine, although they were factory rebuilt two to three years ago, so I would think they are OK . . .

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related