Smoking Studio Color 575s

I need some advice and perspective.

I've posted here before on these fixtures but here's a quick recap. I picked up 6 Studio Colors and 3 Cybers...all 11 years old. They were install usnits and ran for maybe 2 or 3 years before sitting idle (I was told). With the collective help of you all in this forum, I was able to combine parts to get 4 Studio Colors working, then get parts and boards for the other 2 to get all 6 working. The Cyber worked straight away.

I've used the Studio Colors maybe 6 times and based on price I bought them for they've already paid for themselves. Last weekend though, I had 3 of them go out in rapid succession. The display lit up, then showed an "S", then gradually faded out completely. And I smelled smoke. Opening them up I see that on 2 of them, the logic board is serious toast...exploded capacitors. On the 3rd, I can't tell...it's still on the ceiling...but it showed teh same symptoms. All 3 were on different circuits. So it's weird they would all toast within 10 minutes of one another.

So here's where I need advice: Should I 1.) send the boards in for repair or relacement, 2) Send the entire fixture for a thorough once over, 3) scrap 'em, or 4.) Other?

As for the perspective, I've heard that the Studio Colors are very reliable fixtures. Were these new I would disagree but they're not. And I really don't know what went on over there 11 year history. I'm committed to several shows with them over the next few months, so I need to decide what direction to go with them. Perspective or comments along this line would be huge right now.
Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related