Intellabeam lamp not striking + issues

Hiya,

I bought 6 intellabeams in varying condition (from car-crash-like to just about working).

On the few that work, the lamp strikes are not always successful. It seems like they don't like striking if warm. How can I go about diagnosing/fixing the problem?

Also one of them, when lit, makes a very loud buzz. I couldn't find anything loose in the unit, so I presume it's the transformer that is on its way out? It's one of the intermittent ones, and when it hasn't struck, there is no noise (except for the motors initialising).

I presume High End have circuit diagrams for the bulb circuitry? And a spec for the bulb so I can judge what's falling short?

Thanks a lot

Jody
Parents
  • My experience babysitting a number of older I-Beams is that just about every failure of this type I have seen has been due to the plug on connectors on the power board. I replaced all of mine with hard attached terminal strips, and have not had a problem of that nature in years . . . . I suggest that you pull off the ballast, lamp, voltage select,
    and power input connectors - I have seen failures on all three create various odd symptoms, ultimately centered around failure to strike . . . The good news is that changing them out costs less than a buck a fixture, and takes about 30 to 45 minutes . . . not too bad a job, really!

- Tim
  • My experience babysitting a number of older I-Beams is that just about every failure of this type I have seen has been due to the plug on connectors on the power board. I replaced all of mine with hard attached terminal strips, and have not had a problem of that nature in years . . . . I suggest that you pull off the ballast, lamp, voltage select,
    and power input connectors - I have seen failures on all three create various odd symptoms, ultimately centered around failure to strike . . . The good news is that changing them out costs less than a buck a fixture, and takes about 30 to 45 minutes . . . not too bad a job, really!

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related