Emulator won't strike

I'm having a strange problem with one of my Emus. I've tried it with both a brand new HOLL-1000 lamp, and a slightly used one that works perfect in another fixture. You can see the lamp try to strike multiple times, the igniter doesn't seem to have a problem creating an arc in the lamp, but the lamp never actually holds the arc for more than a split second. It's almost like the power supply can't supply enough current to keep the arc stable.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? What did you do to resolve it? I haven't used this fixture in some time because I couldn't afford to replace the lamp for a while, but just recently got replacement lamps in, and now I'm having this problem.

Any ideas?

Jeff:dunno:
Parents
  • Thanks for the help.

Tried swapping capacitors this afternoon. No luck there, so it looks like it's probably the PSB.

I checked all of the fuses on the PSB, and they all measured good. I also tried measuring the voltage across the leads (the red and black leads coming from the terminal block on the right side of the board as you're facing looking at the back of the fixture) between the PSB and the Igniter/Lamp (after it stopped trying to strike). Seemed kind-of low, but i'm not sure if that's how it should be. I would expect, in a current-regulated supply, that the voltage would be at maximum if no current were flowing through the lamp, but it seemed to be below 10V. There was some voltage there, but not what I expected. Haven't had time to print out the PSB schematic, so I didn't dig too hard.
  • Thanks for the help.

Tried swapping capacitors this afternoon. No luck there, so it looks like it's probably the PSB.

I checked all of the fuses on the PSB, and they all measured good. I also tried measuring the voltage across the leads (the red and black leads coming from the terminal block on the right side of the board as you're facing looking at the back of the fixture) between the PSB and the Igniter/Lamp (after it stopped trying to strike). Seemed kind-of low, but i'm not sure if that's how it should be. I would expect, in a current-regulated supply, that the voltage would be at maximum if no current were flowing through the lamp, but it seemed to be below 10V. There was some voltage there, but not what I expected. Haven't had time to print out the PSB schematic, so I didn't dig too hard.
Children
No Data
Related