Emulator won't strike

I'm having a strange problem with one of my Emus. I've tried it with both a brand new HOLL-1000 lamp, and a slightly used one that works perfect in another fixture. You can see the lamp try to strike multiple times, the igniter doesn't seem to have a problem creating an arc in the lamp, but the lamp never actually holds the arc for more than a split second. It's almost like the power supply can't supply enough current to keep the arc stable.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? What did you do to resolve it? I haven't used this fixture in some time because I couldn't afford to replace the lamp for a while, but just recently got replacement lamps in, and now I'm having this problem.

Any ideas?

Jeff:dunno:
Parents
  • Actually, after further investigation, It almost seems like the problem is not with the PSB. There is a circuit that uses a stepped voltage from the mainboard to cycle the PSB from off to strike, to normal operation. This stepped voltage doesn't seem to be coming from the main board. Its worse than it was before, in that it doesn't get to the stike setpoint any longer. I think that circuit is failing on the mainboard. I'm going to first try to swap out mainboards and see if that fixes things. I'm pretty sure if the problem is the mainboard that I can figure out what's wrong and repair it. Its power supplies (especially those involving SCRs) that give me a headache.
  • Actually, after further investigation, It almost seems like the problem is not with the PSB. There is a circuit that uses a stepped voltage from the mainboard to cycle the PSB from off to strike, to normal operation. This stepped voltage doesn't seem to be coming from the main board. Its worse than it was before, in that it doesn't get to the stike setpoint any longer. I think that circuit is failing on the mainboard. I'm going to first try to swap out mainboards and see if that fixes things. I'm pretty sure if the problem is the mainboard that I can figure out what's wrong and repair it. Its power supplies (especially those involving SCRs) that give me a headache.
Children
No Data
Related