Emulator won't strike

I'm having a strange problem with one of my Emus. I've tried it with both a brand new HOLL-1000 lamp, and a slightly used one that works perfect in another fixture. You can see the lamp try to strike multiple times, the igniter doesn't seem to have a problem creating an arc in the lamp, but the lamp never actually holds the arc for more than a split second. It's almost like the power supply can't supply enough current to keep the arc stable.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? What did you do to resolve it? I haven't used this fixture in some time because I couldn't afford to replace the lamp for a while, but just recently got replacement lamps in, and now I'm having this problem.

Any ideas?

Jeff:dunno:
Parents
  • Yeah, it would have to have a different power supply. The Luxim device doesn't need an igniter. I'm working on the power suppply issues right now, may actually replace the entire PSB with a custom one, since the logic board only needs unregulated +/-8V, unregulated 18V, and regulated 5V, and the Luxim device needs 28v@9A. Is the 24VAC winding on the stock transformer good for 18A as you say? that would make life easier, as I wouldn't have to replace the transformer (just use a switching boost converter to bump it up to 28V and regulate it)

I'm still interested in improving the optics, so please do keep me informed on your upgrade kit.
  • Yeah, it would have to have a different power supply. The Luxim device doesn't need an igniter. I'm working on the power suppply issues right now, may actually replace the entire PSB with a custom one, since the logic board only needs unregulated +/-8V, unregulated 18V, and regulated 5V, and the Luxim device needs 28v@9A. Is the 24VAC winding on the stock transformer good for 18A as you say? that would make life easier, as I wouldn't have to replace the transformer (just use a switching boost converter to bump it up to 28V and regulate it)

I'm still interested in improving the optics, so please do keep me informed on your upgrade kit.
Children
No Data
Related