Cyber software update worth the effort?

Hi Folks,

We have 5 Cybers with software versions 72, 70 & 61. What is the last version? Is there any advantage to updating them?

Cheers,

Scotty.
Parents
  • Well, finally got to looking, and I have 7.2 and 7.5 . . . I wish HES would leave the release notes and such for older versions online, so that I can see what changed, to see if an upgrade is a good idea. At any rate, I did burn some proms with the 7.7 release, as per their web site, and had exactly the same result you did - 7.7 would not work. Looking at the prom images, it appears that the bootloader is a part of the image, so I would not think that would be an issue.

Oh, and mine are all AM29F010-120 as well, and I found some new locally for under $2 a pop . . . so no risk of damaging the existing working proms.

Shade4 - One curiosity - you said that you got 7.4 to work. Did you copy an existing prom, or have that image lying about and were able to burn it? And where did you find images older than 7.7?

I may also contact HES directly to see if there are any insights as to the 7.7 issue, but not sure how much help I'll get, since I don't know if they ever supported upgrades via rewriting the proms outside the fixtures . . .

- Tim
  • Well, finally got to looking, and I have 7.2 and 7.5 . . . I wish HES would leave the release notes and such for older versions online, so that I can see what changed, to see if an upgrade is a good idea. At any rate, I did burn some proms with the 7.7 release, as per their web site, and had exactly the same result you did - 7.7 would not work. Looking at the prom images, it appears that the bootloader is a part of the image, so I would not think that would be an issue.

Oh, and mine are all AM29F010-120 as well, and I found some new locally for under $2 a pop . . . so no risk of damaging the existing working proms.

Shade4 - One curiosity - you said that you got 7.4 to work. Did you copy an existing prom, or have that image lying about and were able to burn it? And where did you find images older than 7.7?

I may also contact HES directly to see if there are any insights as to the 7.7 issue, but not sure how much help I'll get, since I don't know if they ever supported upgrades via rewriting the proms outside the fixtures . . .

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related