Cyberlight or X.Spot

Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing some used lights and I am debating between the X.Spots and Cyberlights. Just wondering which product you would buy and what your reasoning is.

Thanks!

Matt
Parents
  • [quote=Woodj32177;42579]I agree.
    Cybers just keep working.
    Xspots are hard to keep going even in the best conditions.

I also disagree that xspots are easier to maintain than cybers.
    Xspots are somewhat easier to disassemble, but finding the actual problem can be very difficult.

Of course YMMV. :D

Joshua Wood

I guess it depends on what the problem is!

For mechanical problems, I'll take an X-Spot any day . . . isolate the problem to a module, pull it, work at your leisure on the bench. On a Cyber, you either have to work on it upside down in the air, or horse that big 'ol beast onto the bench - not my idea of fun. That, and if you carry X-Spot spares, you can have a module changed in almost no time.

For electrical problems, then yes, the X-Spot can get irritating, especially if you have a 2 phase or 3 phase that is corrupting the inter-module bus. *THAT* can be a whole load of not-fun quickly!

Having said that (knock on wood), the biggest problems I have had with my X-Spots have been mechanical, with some of the gobo wheel stacks having been assembled a wee bit too tight and binding, or the occasional bad sensor.

Oh, and having mentioned that, I'll score X-Spot light years ahead in diagnosing and replacing sensor failures as well, since every sensor has a status indicator on it's 2/3 phase, so you can see what works with nothing more than taking the side covers off . . .

I'll get back to my initial comment - the X-Spot is about the most complex mover I have seen in a long time, so it is not unexpected to see more issues . . . it's simple probability! More that can go wrong ==> more that will go wrong! You want low maintenance and simple, use pars!

- Tim
  • [quote=Woodj32177;42579]I agree.
    Cybers just keep working.
    Xspots are hard to keep going even in the best conditions.

I also disagree that xspots are easier to maintain than cybers.
    Xspots are somewhat easier to disassemble, but finding the actual problem can be very difficult.

Of course YMMV. :D

Joshua Wood

I guess it depends on what the problem is!

For mechanical problems, I'll take an X-Spot any day . . . isolate the problem to a module, pull it, work at your leisure on the bench. On a Cyber, you either have to work on it upside down in the air, or horse that big 'ol beast onto the bench - not my idea of fun. That, and if you carry X-Spot spares, you can have a module changed in almost no time.

For electrical problems, then yes, the X-Spot can get irritating, especially if you have a 2 phase or 3 phase that is corrupting the inter-module bus. *THAT* can be a whole load of not-fun quickly!

Having said that (knock on wood), the biggest problems I have had with my X-Spots have been mechanical, with some of the gobo wheel stacks having been assembled a wee bit too tight and binding, or the occasional bad sensor.

Oh, and having mentioned that, I'll score X-Spot light years ahead in diagnosing and replacing sensor failures as well, since every sensor has a status indicator on it's 2/3 phase, so you can see what works with nothing more than taking the side covers off . . .

I'll get back to my initial comment - the X-Spot is about the most complex mover I have seen in a long time, so it is not unexpected to see more issues . . . it's simple probability! More that can go wrong ==> more that will go wrong! You want low maintenance and simple, use pars!

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related