Trackspot motors 'surging' / 'hesitating'

I've got a Trackspot that has a very odd problem, it is affecting every motor in the unit. When you rotate or pan/tilt at slow to medium speeds every motor will hesitate or surge (depending on how you look at it) while moving. This happens about every .5 / .75 seconds.

My initial thought was one of the data busses feeding the 74373 latches was hung therefore unable to step through all the bit resolutions but checking with a scope I find both the data inputs to the latches and the outputs to the motor drivers all functioning.

I've also swapped the uProc and the Eprom with a known working fixture and the problem stayed with the fixture.

5v and 24v supply rails look good, good voltage, no AC ripple.

I give... any ideas? :confused:
Parents
  • Just something to check. I had a similar, but more intense, problem on a Trackspot that hit my shop recently. It was only one of the motors, the gobo wheel motor, but it jumped around like crazy rather than moving in any particular direction. I went crazy probing the logic driving the latches, and the output of the motor controller chips. Finally, I noticed while disassembling the unit to try to replace that motor (thinking that it must be the motor) that the wires running to that motor had gotten pinched, by a previous reassembly, and were making intermittent contact. The wires were hidden in the little tunnel that protects them from the lamp heat, so I assumed they must have been OK, but it turns out that was the problem.

I'm not saying this IS your problem, but it's something to check.

Jeff.
  • Just something to check. I had a similar, but more intense, problem on a Trackspot that hit my shop recently. It was only one of the motors, the gobo wheel motor, but it jumped around like crazy rather than moving in any particular direction. I went crazy probing the logic driving the latches, and the output of the motor controller chips. Finally, I noticed while disassembling the unit to try to replace that motor (thinking that it must be the motor) that the wires running to that motor had gotten pinched, by a previous reassembly, and were making intermittent contact. The wires were hidden in the little tunnel that protects them from the lamp heat, so I assumed they must have been OK, but it turns out that was the problem.

I'm not saying this IS your problem, but it's something to check.

Jeff.
Children
No Data
Related