Trackspot motors 'surging' / 'hesitating'

I've got a Trackspot that has a very odd problem, it is affecting every motor in the unit. When you rotate or pan/tilt at slow to medium speeds every motor will hesitate or surge (depending on how you look at it) while moving. This happens about every .5 / .75 seconds.

My initial thought was one of the data busses feeding the 74373 latches was hung therefore unable to step through all the bit resolutions but checking with a scope I find both the data inputs to the latches and the outputs to the motor drivers all functioning.

I've also swapped the uProc and the Eprom with a known working fixture and the problem stayed with the fixture.

5v and 24v supply rails look good, good voltage, no AC ripple.

I give... any ideas? :confused:
Parents
  • Thanks, I think we finally nailed it down to motor/firmware incompatibility. All of my fixtures are running 4.2b firmware with the upgraded R/C networks, however, apparently that is not compatible with the original motors that don't have the quick disconnect on the side of the motor (soldered harness).

I was finally able to test this by taking two fixtures side by side and jumper the harnesses across to the other fixture with the newer motor and the rotation was smooth, no surging.
  • Thanks, I think we finally nailed it down to motor/firmware incompatibility. All of my fixtures are running 4.2b firmware with the upgraded R/C networks, however, apparently that is not compatible with the original motors that don't have the quick disconnect on the side of the motor (soldered harness).

I was finally able to test this by taking two fixtures side by side and jumper the harnesses across to the other fixture with the newer motor and the rotation was smooth, no surging.
Children
No Data
Related