DL2 & Timecode

Is there anyway of Directly Syncing the content inside the DL2 with either LTC or MTC. This is becoming an ever important part of video playback. My Clients have content that is rendered specifically for Timecode and this is critical for them.
Timecoding the console is not reliable enough and won't allow frame for frame syncing.

Hope you can assist.
Oli
Lighting Productions
Parents
  • Todd,

Can you explain a bit more? I'm not sure that I understand why you think that sync is dependent on timecode.

Timecode generally refers to one of a few standard formats used for sending and receiving synchronization information. The most common type of timecode is SMPTE. There are a number of different formats (LTC, VITC, MTC, CTL) and frame rates (24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps, drop and non-drop frame) of SMPTE timecode.

Video can be synchronized to SMPTE timecode, but it is not the only way to synchronize video playback between multiple systems.

When a network of DL.2 digital luminaires are synchronizing playback, a master clock source is used and timing information is shared between all of the fixtures. The system that we use allows for frame synchronization of video playback and also for synchronization of rotation and effects motion. One of the major advantages is that we aren't limited by the relatively low frame rates generally used with SMPTE timecode. We can have much finer resolution, which will generally provide a much smoother, better synchronized result.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
  • Todd,

Can you explain a bit more? I'm not sure that I understand why you think that sync is dependent on timecode.

Timecode generally refers to one of a few standard formats used for sending and receiving synchronization information. The most common type of timecode is SMPTE. There are a number of different formats (LTC, VITC, MTC, CTL) and frame rates (24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps, drop and non-drop frame) of SMPTE timecode.

Video can be synchronized to SMPTE timecode, but it is not the only way to synchronize video playback between multiple systems.

When a network of DL.2 digital luminaires are synchronizing playback, a master clock source is used and timing information is shared between all of the fixtures. The system that we use allows for frame synchronization of video playback and also for synchronization of rotation and effects motion. One of the major advantages is that we aren't limited by the relatively low frame rates generally used with SMPTE timecode. We can have much finer resolution, which will generally provide a much smoother, better synchronized result.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
Children
No Data