DL.2 Position feedback / simulation of movement ?

Hi,

Is there a way to get feedback from a DL.2 about its current position while it moves ?

I plan to use a DL2 to in an interactive system, much like a computer game. Graphical objects (characters of the game) shall be projected onto different surfaces of a room (they move based on a user's behavior). I have a DL.2 for the projection. The program I design will both render the object (the DL.2 projects that image as it is connected to the VGA output of the computer) and control the projector's motion via ArtNet.
While this setup works fine, the system does not work as expected when the character is projected while the DL.2 moves.
This is of course due to the fact that the projector has a considerable mass and can not turn to its new position instantly. Therefor it is necessary for my application to know where the projector is pointing at at any given moment (every 1/60 second, as I'm rendering 60 frames per second). Only this way the object can be rendered in the correct place within the projected image so that it gets projected in the correct spot while the projector moves.

There are basically three options for me:

1. There is a way for the fixture to give feedback to the controlling computer about how far it has come since the command to change to a new position was sent and somebody lets me know how to get this information.

2. I could simulate the fixture's motion, as I know the position value I sent to it as well as the previous positions. This however requires some knowledge about how the controller inside of the device controls its motors, how it accelerates and decelerates, what the maximum speed is etc.
It can be very tedious to figure that out by trial and error, not to mention that it may not be accurate enough this way. It certainly would help to hear from a Highend Systems engineer how they control the DL.2's motors. I just hope that is not considered a classified trade secret.

3. I would have to build some hardware device that measures the position changes (eg. by following the signals on the stepper motors) or a completely new controller for the DL2's pan and tilt function.

For obvious reasons I would like to avoid option three, especially the more drastic approach of replacing and redesigning the controller.

I also am not optimistic that there is a way to get the feedback from the device, as I have searched a lot for it and this feature simply doesn't seem to be necessary for the usual applications.

So I'm really hoping to get some information that may help me to simulate the motion of the fixture accurately.

Regards,

Jochen
Parents
  • Jochen,

My best reccommendation would be to get your hands on a unit and do some experimentation directly as that will give you the most info. Slowing the M-Speed down just a bit should help make the system a bit more predictable overall.

The Accel/Decel curves can be complicated as there are many variables involved, using the M-Speed will eliminate some of that.

Unfortunately, I don't have precise numbers to provide as we do not develop based on that directly. Internally the max accel/velocity are just a unitless hex value that don't directly coorespond to real-world units.

Scott
  • Jochen,

My best reccommendation would be to get your hands on a unit and do some experimentation directly as that will give you the most info. Slowing the M-Speed down just a bit should help make the system a bit more predictable overall.

The Accel/Decel curves can be complicated as there are many variables involved, using the M-Speed will eliminate some of that.

Unfortunately, I don't have precise numbers to provide as we do not develop based on that directly. Internally the max accel/velocity are just a unitless hex value that don't directly coorespond to real-world units.

Scott
Children
No Data