Object Effect idea - 3-D Object tiling

Thought of a new effect that could be useful - 3-D Object tiling.

Should work just like the regular surface tiling on a single object, but would apply to the 3-D object instead.

Effect Mode: 3-D Object Tile
Mod1: create copies of object along the X-axis
- (DMX 001 would be 1 copy, DMX 002 would be 2 copies, etc, etc)
Mod2: create copies of object along the Y-axis
Mod3: create copies of object along the Z-axis

Two other effects that could work in tandem with this one are:

Effect Mode: Object Tile Spacing
Mod1: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the X-axis
- (DMX 000 would butt them up together 255 would be the farthest spacing apart)
Mod2: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the Y-axis
Mod3: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the Z-axis

Effect Mode: Object Tile angle/pitch shif
(used to create diagonal shifts or offsets between tile "layers" or "forced perspective" type looks by creating a gravitational center whose origin could be shifted to sort of re-align to object tiles)

Mod1: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the X-axis
Mod2: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the Y-axis
Mod3: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the Z-axis
Parents
  • i find straight lines to be generally uninspired, and i think that if there's going to be an instance buffer that it needs to be able to be filled from content.

i haven't put enough thought into this, but for example, a (non-pow2) 1×1000 ARGB texture could control up to 1000 instances, where A would signal whether or not to draw, and RGB would specify the XYZ translation matrix to be multiplied against the original geometry's world.

this would provide a very easy means to control the maximum number of instances, and at the same time allow for visuals much more interesting than grids, which absolutely could be included as stock content.

the next steps, of course, would be rendering the instance buffer from video, and determining which other non-positioning parameters would be interesting to pass through the instance buffer.
  • i find straight lines to be generally uninspired, and i think that if there's going to be an instance buffer that it needs to be able to be filled from content.

i haven't put enough thought into this, but for example, a (non-pow2) 1×1000 ARGB texture could control up to 1000 instances, where A would signal whether or not to draw, and RGB would specify the XYZ translation matrix to be multiplied against the original geometry's world.

this would provide a very easy means to control the maximum number of instances, and at the same time allow for visuals much more interesting than grids, which absolutely could be included as stock content.

the next steps, of course, would be rendering the instance buffer from video, and determining which other non-positioning parameters would be interesting to pass through the instance buffer.
Children
No Data