Source Four Lens Tubes: 36 --> 50 seem like a big jump?

In one of our venues, we're finding that 36 degree barrels don't quite seem big enough, but 50 degrees is far too big, resulting in a loss in brightness as we shutter them down.  I called ETC and they advised using this forum to see what demand was like for a middle ground option for a barrel, such as a 42 degree.  Similar demand has resulted in production of the 14 degree and 70 degree barrels in recent years.  Anyone else see a need for this?

We are aware of the possibility of using the Source Four Zoom fixture to achieve this beam angle, but the cost is much higher.  Also, we have used the Jr Zoom fixture, but the brightness is much less compared to the standard Source Four.

Parents Reply
  • Modifying the lamp base to accept a 750w lamp in a S4 Jr fixture is not a recommended practice. It would at the very least invalidate the terms of the regulatory agency marking on the product.  Degradation of the components due to the additinal heat generated may not be readily apparent and may create undetected safety or liability issues down the road.

Children
  • The same thing was said about the original 575W-only S4.  Then we were told by engineering that replacing the cap with a 750W cap was actually entirely fine for the reflector etc, and then that actually the original cap could accomodate the 750W lamp in the first place...  So, yes, I understand the caution, but am somewhat skeptical.

• The problem with your assertion that if it is okay with a full size fixture it will be okay with the Jr,  is that a full size SourceFour and a SourceFour Jr are very different fixtures. 

There are two critical areas to be considered here.

1.)  The reflector is a smaller size  than a full size S4 reflector, and is therefore also physically closer to the lamp. 

2.)  The cooling chamber surrounding the lamp / reflector area in a Jr is significantly smaller when compared to a full size S4.

Both of these factors together combine to create an increase in the operating temperature of the fixture. Furthermore, the fixture cannot properly dissipate the additonal heat created, which can cause a variety of heat related issues with the fixture long term.   Paint issues, cracking reflector, lamp life, fixture temperature and so forth.

if it were considered to be safe and proper operation to lamp a Source 4 Junior with a 750w lamp,  it would be marketed as having this capability.  Unfortunately the Source4 Junior is one of two fixtures in the entire Source 4 Line that cannot be rated for use with a 750w lamp. The other fixture being a Source4 MCM Par. Both of these fixtures should not be lamped higher than a 575w lamp for safe and proper operation. 

Making this modification is strongly advised against by ETC, and would invalidate any warranties or UL / ETL / CE regulatory approval ratings assigned to the fixtures.

[edited by: GregThomas at 4:22 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Aug 7 2013]
  • I'm not actually asserting that one should do this; just saying that it isn't immediately catastrophic.  However, we're quite far afield from my original query...

• I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are able to contact a local ETC Dealer or Rep Agency they might be able to get you a loaner of some 50deg EDLTs to try out.  

Even if ETC decided today that they were going to make a 40ish degree lens tube it would take some time before one would actually be able to purchase it.

Obviously, there is a cost difference between an EDLT and a standard lens tube.  But, if it solves your problem just as effectively as using 25-50 zooms, then spending a little more for the EDLT (which is significantly less $ than a Zoom) seems like the right move with the current product offering.

The EDLT can give you up to 20% more output from the fixture, see the cut sheets for the EDLT and the Standard 50deg:

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/7060L1042_S4_EDLT_Spec_Sht_vC.pdf

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/7060L1010_Source_Four_50_Spec_Sht_vG.pdf

• Personally, I'd go for a 41 degree (mf=0.75) or a 44 degree (mf=0.8)

Related