S4 - 4/1999

My S4, year 4/1999, was build for the 575W HPL lamps ( the new HPL 750W came out around year 2000).

Does someone know if it is possible to use the newer HPL 750 lamps on this elder S4 model that is certainlynot so different from to the newer ones with the HPL 750W lamps.

Many thanks for any reply!

GE LIGHTING HPL 750 LAMPE 230V

Parents
  • The 750W lamps have a pin pressed or molded into the lamp base that needs to go through a hole in the light baffle.  The purpose of the pin is to prevent placing the 750W bulb into a Jr fixture.  The S4 fixture itself requires no other changes as the wiring and sockets of these older fixtures are rated for the higher wattage.  If you are going to use the fixture on a continuous base like 10 hours a day in a museum for instance the paint could become an issue and fall off after 600-800 hours of continuous use.  We have since improved the paint on fixtures to accommodate the higher temps from the 750W lamp.  If you are using the fixture in a theatrical application the paint should not be an issue.  Either way you would have to drill a hole in the light baffle or remove the pin from the lamp base.  We also sell a retrofit light baffle kit to accommodate 750W lamps for old fixtures 7060A1033-0.

Where is this S4?

Have fun and don't burn yourself!

• Many thanks Corey for your kind and very useful reply. I'm in Rome in Italy and I use the S4 as a photographic effect key light.
    The light from those units is the most directional light that someone can find from any units, it's raw and it must be used with lots of fill light, but anyway no electronic  spot with fresnel lens can be compared with the abrupt falloff of this light.
    So I don't have to panic because I don't use my S4 on continuous base and instead of drilling a whole in the light baffle I would really prefer to buy the retrofit kit.
    Do you know where I can find it in Europe, maybe in Germany (where I studied at the gymnasium)?
    The official ETC labs here didn't know anything about it but a roman american representative of the company told  me kindly to drill this third hole.

Ciao and grazie! 
  • Many thanks Corey for your kind and very useful reply. I'm in Rome in Italy and I use the S4 as a photographic effect key light.
    The light from those units is the most directional light that someone can find from any units, it's raw and it must be used with lots of fill light, but anyway no electronic  spot with fresnel lens can be compared with the abrupt falloff of this light.
    So I don't have to panic because I don't use my S4 on continuous base and instead of drilling a whole in the light baffle I would really prefer to buy the retrofit kit.
    Do you know where I can find it in Europe, maybe in Germany (where I studied at the gymnasium)?
    The official ETC labs here didn't know anything about it but a roman american representative of the company told  me kindly to drill this third hole.

Ciao and grazie! 
Children
Related